FreeNAS won't boot after Latest 11.1-U4 updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

perryb

Cadet
I just ran updates from my FreeNAS GUI and on reboot, my machine wont boot. Need help, I've attached a screenshot showing the boot fail. Any help at all is much appreciated, I can no long access my files.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpg
    IMG_2227.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Looks like the boot device failed. Reinstall to a new stick and restore your config.

perryb

Cadet
Arrgh... Thanks, I'll do that, but this will be about the 5th USB I've replaced since moving to 11.x. I wonder if there's something else causing the USB drives to fails.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Consider switching to an SSD as a boot device. It will save time and money in the long run. Or maybe the short run in this case.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Arrgh... Thanks, I'll do that, but this will be about the 5th USB I've replaced since moving to 11.x. I wonder if there's something else causing the USB drives to fails.
This is more common then you'd think. I've had this happen at least twice. I finally bought cheap and used (but quality) SSDs for my boot drives from eBay and haven't looked back since. This was on my backup box because it is offsite and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of going off-site to fix broken boot-drives.

In my main box I'm still using usb drives, but just so I can burn through the USB drives I had already stockpiled in anticipation of them failing. It's really a shot in the dark as the current mirrored pair has been going without issues for over a year (knock on wood).

Status
Not open for further replies.