FreeNAS with XBMC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum26

Cadet
Hi All,

First's off I'm new to FreeNAS and linux type interfaces etc in general so be gentle.

I have recently bought a HP Microserver N40L and installed FreeNAS (running on a 2GB data stick) on the recommendation of a friend. I have setup a windows share and an apple share, both of which work great. My plan now is to install XBMC (or something similar?) to be able to play movies directly off my Microserver to my TV by installing a graphics card in the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I have done quite a bit of googling and haven't found anyone else with this setup.

Is it possible to install XBMC along side FreeNAS and if so how? :confused:

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
You can use the MiniDLNA plugin to serve to something that runs XBMC, but I don't even think FreeNAS has graphics drivers (it doesn't need them for the console and web UI). It's definitely not designed to be a set-top-box replacement. You may be looking at something that's way more trouble than it's worth.

Magnum26

Cadet
I have freeBSD installed in a jail setup ready for a Minecraft server I'm trying to setup, could it be run off that if freeNas is unable? I have looked at the MiniDLNA plugin and have setup plugins last night just in case, but the idea was to have HTPC and NAS in one box. :(

cubix

Save yourself the headache, find an apple tv2 to jailbreak and install xbmc. You can set up any sort of share from your freenas box - xbmc will read them all

If you want to run xbmc on your nas then freenas isn't going to be an easy path and I would consider another platform for the task. At a bare minimum freebsd. Preferably ubuntu.

still keen? Depending on dependencies and how current the xbmc port is, setup a jail and install xbmc from the ports tree. You will find instructions in the manual.

Magnum26

Cadet
Save yourself the headache, find an apple tv2 to jailbreak and install xbmc. You can set up any sort of share from your freenas box - xbmc will read them all

If you want to run xbmc on your nas then freenas isn't going to be an easy path and I would consider another platform for the task. At a bare minimum freebsd. Preferably ubuntu.

still keen? Depending on dependencies and how current the xbmc port is, setup a jail and install xbmc from the ports tree. You will find instructions in the manual.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a port tree? I already have FreeBSD installed in a jail due to setting it up for a minecraft server. Which is yet to work due to a java issue :o

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
The ports tree is the big community-maintained directory of open-source programs with FreeBSD makefiles that the FreeBSD project hosts. There are 2X,000-some ports available. Here are directions for installing non-PBI stuff in the ports jail. pkg_add is the preferred method - those packages are the default versions of what you'd get if you built from ports. http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins#Installing_non-PBI_Software

pacman_d

Cadet
Hey Magnum,

As an avid user of XBMC in both windows and Linux I would say that if you want all the flexibility that comes with tweaking your XBMC build, (HD Audio/Video Hardware tweaking), etc.. Separating the storage pool from the HTPC would be your best bet.

The noise alone would not be appropriate for the HTPC as it typically is set up right in front (although there are things one can do to mitigate noise).

That being said, I would suggest setting up XBMC on a box with some solid A/V hardware, IR controls for remotes, well developed NIC drivers that allow you to control MTU size, and a small solid state drive for the OS/XBMC installation. This way your HTPC is fast and a solid performer. The features of XBMC out perform 10k+ platforms that I have seen in some of my customers homes (we are talking billionaires using Kaleidescape and similar systems).

As far as the NAS box, I have a dedicated Gigabit switch that I used between the HTPC and the NAS with the MTU set to 9000. I rip straight BD25 and BD50 BluRays right to my pool and the size of the folders are between 25-50gig. For internet access and updates I simply have an uplink to to another switch for the rest of my network clients that do not need exclusive access to the storage.

Another thing to consider (although more expensive) is to do the WIN7 version of XBMC as Windows 7 supports Audiophile grade digital audio (24bit/192khz/DTS-MASTER-AUDIO, Dolby TRUEHD, etc.) with supported sound/video adapters. As well if you have FIOS, you can use the CETON cable card adapter (Windows support only) that is supported by an XBMC plugin that allows for channel hopping and DVR functionallity. You can even replace your In home DVR and only pay $3 a month to Verizon for licensing the card (Saving another $15 per month). This to me is the only real reason to go with the Windows version.

There are also remote control apps (Yatse, XBMC Remote) that work great over WIFI if you have an Apple or Android device (works great on my Kindle Fire HD).
2-18-2013 10-20-02 AM.jpg 2-18-2013 10-20-29 AM.jpg

I only touch upon the XBMC in moderate detail because you referenced it as a key requirement and I wanted to make sure that I put enough out there so that you can make the distinction between the benefits of the "all-in one" box vs a separates approach. In the end I am not saying anything different than anyone else here. :)

Best of luck!

P

emk2203

Guru
Hey Magnum,
That being said, I would suggest setting up XBMC on a box with some solid A/V hardware, IR controls for remotes, well developed NIC drivers that allow you to control MTU size, and a small solid state drive for the OS/XBMC installation. This way your HTPC is fast and a solid performer. The features of XBMC out perform 10k+ platforms that I have seen in some of my customers homes (we are talking billionaires using Kaleidescape and similar systems).
Is there anything you would recommend? I am currently looking to setup HTPC functionality with XBMC and FreeNAS, a proven recommendation would be really helpful. I'd love to match a high-end setup with a DIY solution.

As far as the NAS box, I have a dedicated Gigabit switch that I used between the HTPC and the NAS with the MTU set to 9000. I rip straight BD25 and BD50 BluRays right to my pool and the size of the folders are between 25-50gig. For internet access and updates I simply have an uplink to to another switch for the rest of my network clients that do not need exclusive access to the storage.

I know that you lower the load if you set the MTU high for large-file transfers, but wouldn't it work as well without?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
MTU of 9000 isn't all its cracked up to be. :P

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Its really not needed. Lol. I run 2 xbmc machines, one over 100mb line and one over 1gb line. They work perfectly fine, even while streaming stuff at the same time. No special config of the network on them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yatti420

Wizard
With the current version of xbmc4xbox - SMB/UPNP are working no issues (other then lag for 20 seconds - which I haven't taken a look at yet).. MiniDLNA feed can take some time to show up however..

mantis3dfx

Cadet
I agree with pacman_d in almost every aspect - However rather than an installation of win7 (or any full blown OS) burdoned down by unecessary overheads and lost drive space, Opt for OpenELEC instead.
It's a linux OS specifically designed as a platfom to run XBMC as a stand alone app, and is pre-compiled for full functionality of XBMC. Total size is about 100 Mb (including XBMC) capable of bitstreaming (for those of us with dedicated AV Receivors) DTS, DTS-HD MA, AAC, AC3 and etc - (plays everything), boots up and shuts down as fast as a set top box, and runs off USB 2, 3 and SD Cards, leaving an extra SATA drive port available if needed. Its BRILLIANT - I just point it at my FreeNAS box which has 2 RaidZ1 arrays @ 5.4 Tb each, and it NEVER skips a beat.

SmallGuy

Guru
An alternative for video decoding and music player:
I use two silent fanless devices based on this chip with a simple CIFS share on a Gb network, and it rocks, even with Full HD 3D BR rip, and without any fastidious setup.

Nindustries

Patron
The purpose of a NAS is to seperate your storage from the rest of your equipment en centralize it. Not cross-breed it with something else. :p
What you are looking for is a virtualized solution, not really recommended for that use. Just throw a Raspberry Pi (cheap, tiny, ..) or something at it and install OpenElec for xbmc.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
OpenELEC rocks! That is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.