FreeNAS Will Not Boot Or Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
I purchased quite a bit of hardware to run a NAS off of and I am having a lot of trouble installing FreeNAS.

The hardware is as follows:

SUPERMICRO MBD-A1SRi-2758F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard DDR3 1600/1333

Kingston 32GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1600 Server Memory Model KVR16LSE11/8KF

4 - Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive 1TB Internal Hard Drive

Seasonic SS-460FL2 460W Fanless 80Plus PLATINUM Certified, Modular Power Supply

Mushkin Enhanced atom 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Used as Boot Drive)

Lexar JumpDrive S73 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Used as .iso drive)

I am working from a late model MacBook Pro which makes the creation of the USB bootable drive a little harder but I found the application Unetbootin to work successfully. But the bigger issues are...

The farthest I have got once is a successful boot and load screen and then the machine errored with a -11 code. Usually my results are either no boot at all just a blinking line after all the BIOS menu happens. Or I get a screen that tells me to insert boot disk and restart.

Any help in the direction in which I should go to remedy my situation would be greatly appreciated.

It was suggested to me to run Memtest and something to test the CPU... not sure what I could run to test the CPU but I can definitely run Memtest while I am waiting for some responses to this thread.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This hardware is a slam-dunk. The problem may be with your creation of the boot device. I always install mine from CD/.iso. Make sure you are following the directions precisely for creating the boot disk. Check to make sure the RAM is seated properly.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should post the exact error message. Do you even get as far as booting off the ISO USB? It should ask you to install to the other USB then restart.

DarkNAS

Dabbler
@DrKK I may have to try a CD I just did not want to have to buy a drive for one use. As for the RAM it is fully recognized in BIOS as 32GB's so I believe it is seated properly

@SweetAndLow The error only happened once and I only remember the -11 report. I shut down the machine after the error and tried searching the forum for an explanation to the error but didn't get any further than that.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I have not used your motherboard personally, but it supports IPMI. Supermicro's IPMI is known to allow inserting of "virtual media". If it does (and I'm almost 100% sure it does) then you should mount and boot from the virtual media. That removes any problems as I have no doubt that virtual media should work.

unetbootin is known to have problems and not work, so I'm betting that's the problem that needs to be removed.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, I have not used your motherboard personally, but it supports IPMI. Supermicro's IPMI is known to allow inserting of "virtual media". If it does (and I'm almost 100% sure it does) then you should mount and boot from the virtual media. That removes any problems as I have no doubt that virtual media should work.

unetbootin is known to have problems and not work, so I'm betting that's the problem that needs to be removed.
Good call Cyberjock.

Yes, I agree. Use the IPMI to load up the "virtual media"--i.e., it's like using the CD on your motherboard.

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and if you want to use the USB stick anyway (and I third the vote for using IPMI), there's no need to mess around with third-party utilities--just use dd on the command line on the Mac. Check the checksum of your download too--it's always possible that it's gotten corrupted.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

DarkNAS

Dabbler
Sorry cyberjock I was trying to reply late last night and my phone really messed up. I could not even see what I was posting and there was no keyboard or way to edit my post.

My progress... I was able to use IPMI console on my Mac and access the motherboard on my NAS.

The issue I ran into with the virtual media option is that it was only available as a share... I'm not sure what to put on the line that is Share host and the next line Path to image. I tried a few different options but it seems like it wants something external or on the web? I am not sure. I would like to use this option since it seems to be recomended I just don't know what I am missing to get things running.

As a further bit of information am I supposed to have the machine booted and waiting at the error of insert boot device and press any key or should I be in BIOS or somehing else?

Thanks

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
A share for ipmi? Never seen that. It should not require anything remote. It should all be accessible local.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Try the virtual storage settings within the remote console:

upload_2015-6-23_9-16-15.png

Also, you can just use the snipping tool and copy the image and paste it directly into your post.

danb35

Hall of Famer
FWIW, when I use the remote console through IPMIView on my Mac, the virtual storage settings seem to expect a share, and I don't see a place where I can mount a local image as virtual storage. When I launch it from the IPMI web interface (which I've only been able to get to work under Windows), I get what @depasseg shows.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Macs don't work properly for virtual media. You'll have to use a Windows or Linux machine. :(

DarkNAS

Dabbler
I guess parallels will have to do... Finding more and more uses for it these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
Macs don't work properly for virtual media. You'll have to use a Windows or Linux machine. :(
IPMI has an amazing ability to simultaneously be very cool, and a total POS. Admittedly, the "POS" is mostly a result of the quagmire that is Java, but...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
IPMI has an amazing ability to simultaneously be very cool, and a total POS. Admittedly, the "POS" is mostly a result of the quagmire that is Java, but...

+1

IPMI used to be this non-standard very proprietary (and often not entirely functional). Then people slowly but surely standardized... and unfortunately (or fortunately) settled on Java since Java really is cross-platform (for the most part anyway).

Not perfect at all, but far far better than it was 10 years ago.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.