mjd1979

Cadet
Hello Everyone, I'm having trouble with a new build NAS. This is the spec:

Asus M5A78L-M LX with Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHz
2 x Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333MHz PC3-10600
CoolerMaster Silent 550 case
CoolerMaster 450w / 12cm GX 80Plus Bronze PSU
6 x 500GB Sata II Hard drive
Verbatim PenDrive 4GB Micro Nano (for the OS)

I updated the mobo bios from a USB stick then went on the try and boot freenas.

It will not boot from the USB stick.

I've burnt the FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p1-x64 image using 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager on Windows to a 2GB and a 4GB pendrive, neither work.

The boot order and USB config are set as per this document: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

The guide says to check if the USB drive is UDMA compliant, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi mjd1979,

If you have access to a PC with a burner just grab the .iso file, burn it to a blank cd, then boot & install to the USB key on that PC. When the installer prompts you to reboot just shut the PC off & move the key over to the freenas box. All the installer does is write the boot image out to the flash....there's no configuration that takes place at that stage so it shouldn't make any difference where you write it out, only that it's written out correctly.

-Will

mjd1979

Cadet
Hi Will,

Thanks for your reply, sounds like a plan. I'll give that a go as soon as I can.

Regards,

Matt

mjd1979

Cadet
Hi Will,

I burnt the .ISO file to a blank CD, and it will not boot in the office PC. I disabled the hard drive and put the optical drive as 1st in boot priority. I'm getting the same message as the NAS was giving, to insert a boot media.

I tried burning the .iso with a windows laptop and a Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mjd1979

Cadet
Up and running ok with a Kingston 8GB USB stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.