New install of TrueNAS 12.0-U2.1 - Proliant ML10 gen9 - will not boot headless (worked fine with FN 11.x)

bobfandango

Cadet
I have a weird situation that I just cannot figure out. It's really strange...

I recently got around to switching to the latest version of TrueNAS. As I always have done, I did NOT upgrade the server. I burned install media to a USB drive, made a fresh install, and then imported my zpool. It was actually the smoothest migration I've had to date. The only thing I had to do was create users and groups with the appropriate IDs, and everything just plain worked. Except for one thing...

The machine absolutely will not boot without a monitor attached (which is simple and easy to say, but do you have any idea how long it took to figure that out since it always worked just fine before??? grrrrrrr). I've been running Freenas since 9.x first on a Microserver, and now on a Proliant ML10 gen9. These machines have *always* been run headless, just sitting in a closet.

The timestamps for entries in /var/log/console.log show that exactly nothing is logged without the monitor attached. Seems the machine doesn't make it past the bootloader?

There is no BIOS setting for 'stop on error' or the like, and in any event, the BIOS settings are EXACTLY the same as they were when running headless under Freenas 11.

So, there is *something* with either TrueNAS or FreeBSD 12 that breaks the headless boot on this machine (or, there is something about my old config that screws up headless... i.e., though this is not an upgraded server, it isn't exactly a virgin build either).

I've googled and searched and I cannot find anything that explains this. I'm on the verge of getting an active displayport dongle, but I just shouldn't have to do that...

Any ideas?

mrloop

Cadet
Did you figure out how to fix this, or did you get a dummy display port dongle?

bobfandango

Cadet
Did you figure out how to fix this, or did you get a dummy display port dongle?

Well, both sort of...

I got a dongle, but it didn't work.

After further search, I discovered that the BIOS on my machine was rather old, and the changelog for one of the updates said "Enable Headless function". Well nevermind that the machine worked headless before, I went ahead and copied the BIOS update and flash utility to a WinPE USB stick, booted into that and flashed the machine.

After rebooting with the new BIOS, it still didn't work like it used to, but it DID WORK with the dongle.

So, its fixed for my purposes, but I have no idea why it worked truly headless (i.e. without a dongle) under Freenas but not under TrueNAS. Huge hassle and waste of time...