Freenas usenet setup guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Hey guys i am looking to setup my FreeNAS box to start using Usenet vs torrents on my PC.

I was looking around and found some outdated guides on how to set this. Does anyone have some newer documentation or can lend a hand. I am fairly new to Usenet and all the tools: SABnzbd, couchpotato, headphones, etc....

I think i need to set up SABnzbd first and then have all other program point to that?

Cheers

ozzy

Steve Brown

Explorer
Yes install sabnzbd which is your usenet downloader. You need to make sure you have a usenet server. Once you have sabnzbd installed and configured you can install couchpotato and others.

There is a post about permissions which is probably the biggest obstacle that you should read up on before installing the plugins. It covers pretty much everything and Joshua Parker is the man he is extremely helpful.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

ozwaldca

Explorer
k thanks

i have everything installed just need to try and configure it all; yes i have a usenet account

ozwaldca

Explorer
Would it be possible to get some help. i can provide team viewer access? i am struggling to get it all working together.

please and thanks.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Would it be possible to get some help. i can provide team viewer access? i am struggling to get it all working together.

please and thanks.
If you have someone else set it up for you, how will you ever fix it, should it break?

It really isn't hard to follow one of the many tutorials found online for setting up sabnzbd with couch potato and sickbeard/sickrage...

What you're asking has nothing to do with FreeNAS

ozwaldca

Explorer
Hi Pirate,

I would rather do it my self as well. being a newbie to this world i find some of the terminology is hard to follow.

I have tried to follow these: But some of the settings don't match up with the version 9.3 that i am now running.
https://www.zufallsheld.de/2014/09/...freenas-couchpotato-sickbeard-and-headphones/
This doc tells me to mount the data folder inside the jail

https://www.jruehlig.com/wordpress/installation-configuration-of-freenas-plugins/
This doc says to set up data folder in main zfs pool
how do i access the terminal session of the plugins? if i do it through jails>sabnzbd_1>shell these commands do not work

I was hoping that it would be easier for me as well. most of the guides are using older versions of most the software. i was just looking for some more personalized help. I really find this exciting and I like to learn

I think jail configuration and permissions and internal networking are a vital part of FreeNAS. The actual installation of the plugins is easy and already done also this is why i posted in the plugin section not the main help and support forum.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.

danb35

Hall of Famer
just need to try and configure it all
There's only one thing that needs to be configured for Usenet, and that's sabnzbd. Go to the config page/servers, and enter your host and login details. That's it.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Hi Dan,

thanks i have set up Sab but i am getting errors when trying to create the complete/incomplete folders
i have been able to get the set to my provider working. (After i figured out how to get a jail to see the outside world!!)

Cheers

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi Pirate,

I would rather do it my self as well. being a newbie to this world i find some of the terminology is hard to follow.

I have tried to follow these: But some of the settings don't match up with the version 9.3 that i am now running.
https://www.zufallsheld.de/2014/09/...freenas-couchpotato-sickbeard-and-headphones/
This doc tells me to mount the data folder inside the jail

https://www.jruehlig.com/wordpress/installation-configuration-of-freenas-plugins/
This doc says to set up data folder in main zfs pool
how do i access the terminal session of the plugins? if i do it through jails>sabnzbd_1>shell these commands do not work

I was hoping that it would be easier for me as well. most of the guides are using older versions of most the software. i was just looking for some more personalized help. I really find this exciting and I like to learn

I think jail configuration and permissions and internal networking are a vital part of FreeNAS. The actual installation of the plugins is easy and already done also this is why i posted in the plugin section not the main help and support forum.

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post.
The only part FreeNAS plays in this is where the data resides. For that, the official documentation explains exactly how to add storage to your jail. There is nothing else to read for that.

To access you have a couple of options. Set up and enable SSH inside the jail, then use a SSH client to access. Your other option is to SSH into FreeNAS host,(using a good SSH client) and 'jls' to get a list of your jails, then 'jexec <idofjail> tcsh' and you will be dropped right into your jail. Do not use the web GUI console for anything like this. It's a piece of crap.

Stop limiting yourself to <application> on freenas searches. A jail is just FreeBSD...

ozwaldca

Explorer
Well thanks pirate.. that is a useful piece of info!! let me try the putty ssh method...

danb35

Hall of Famer
"these commands do not work" is not very useful. Which commands "do not work", and what happens when you try to use them? I totally agree with @pirateghost that you shouldn't use the web GUI shell--it'll eat control characters, lacks scrollback, and will generally frustrate you. But otherwise, try to be more specific about what's going on, and maybe we can give more help.

ozwaldca

Explorer
Plugin Jail Command-Line -- What command line... i try this from host cmd line and does not work ( to be expected). If i try from specific jail then how can i stop both services at once? ( ie the first command)

service transmission stop && service sickrage stop
pkg upgrade && pkg install git python2 py27-sqlite3 unrar p7zip ffmpeg nginx
sysrc 'transmission_user=media' 'nginx_enable=YES'

ozwaldca

Explorer
Thank for the quick replies. Unfortunately i am work and it is getting buys.. i will come back when i have some more time.

Talk to you later

danb35

Hall of Famer
If i try from specific jail then how can i stop both services at once? ( ie the first command)
The instructions on that blog have you install all the applications into one jail. If you've spun up separate plugins for each application, you didn't follow those instructions.

ozwaldca

Explorer
That would make sense Dan thanks for the info. now silly question beside installing plugins how i install several plugins to a single jail?

i know a jail i like a separate VM? how do i tell the gui to install all those plugins into the sab jail?

ozwaldca

Explorer
I will watch the video tonight when i get home... thanks for the headsup.... that could be the missing piece!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Don't install them as plugins? Just use the normal FreeBSD way of installing apps inside the jail.

Create a jail.

Console into it.

Install packages just like on a normal FreeBSD install...

ozwaldca

Explorer
I am now finding that out.... geat bit of info...

i have started again and created one jail SAB_1
i have uploaded CP, Trans, SB

i am going through jr guide but i sem to be stuck on this line:
crontab -u media -e

nothing happens.. do i open that file and then add the next line to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.