Freenas unable to boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik.96

Dabbler
Hi guys

I have experienced a problem with my freenas setup. I restarted freenas using the webui, but freenas never properly booted back up again.

Attached is an image of what freenas shows me. I am unable to access the web ui or any of my shares.

My hardware is:
HP N40L with 2x8gb of ECC ram
3 x 2tb wd green
1 x 1tb wd green

Any help on this issue is much appreciated

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 228
D

dlavigne

Which version of FreeNAS? If 9.3, which boot entry did you boot into (it will show in System -> Boot as active).

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well, a number of things could cause this problem. To start with:

* Try your keyboard or any other human interface device in different USB ports.
* Check for possible corruption of the system files (verify install)
* Check for corruption of the /etc/gettytab file

If this were me, I'd suspect that your boot device, with the system files, has become corrupt.

nik.96

Dabbler
Well, a number of things could cause this problem. To start with:

* Try your keyboard or any other human interface device in different USB ports.
* Check for possible corruption of the system files (verify install)
* Check for corruption of the /etc/gettytab file

If this were me, I'd suspect that your boot device, with the system files, has become corrupt.

Ive tried different keyboard and usb port, no luck

How do i verify the install for freenas? Should i try and upgrade to freenas 9.3 to try and rectify my problem?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The install verify is a 9.3 feature.

I thikn all the signs are pointing towards you:

1) Backing up your config
2) Getting the .iso for the latest FreeNAS
3) Installing fresh, from that
4) Then, uploading your config file.

nik.96

Dabbler
The install verify is a 9.3 feature.

I thikn all the signs are pointing towards you:

1) Backing up your config
2) Getting the .iso for the latest FreeNAS
3) Installing fresh, from that
4) Then, uploading your config file.

Okay so I have freenas 9.3 iso all prepared onto a usb. The only thing left is to backup my configuration. How do I do that if I'm unable to access the webgui?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If you don't have access to the GUI you can always use the CLI to copy the config (cp /data/freenas-v1.db /mnt/your_pool/your_shared_folder/) and get it from a share. But as you also don't have access to the shares the only two things I can think of is to copy it to a USB stick directly connected on the server or to send it in an email.

I suggest to also run an integrity check of the database, if it's corrupted it's useless to backup it... see how to do it here

nik.96

Dabbler
If you don't have access to the GUI you can always use the CLI to copy the config (cp /data/freenas-v1.db /mnt/your_pool/your_shared_folder/) and get it from a share. But as you also don't have access to the shares the only two things I can think of is to copy it to a USB stick directly connected on the server or to send it in an email.

I suggest to also run an integrity check of the database, if it's corrupted it's useless to backup it... see how to do it here

When I install freenas 9.3 will freenas import my pre existing pools with all my data? Or is that what the configuration file is used for?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
You can either import it via the GUI manually or use your conf file to restore all the configuration (including the pool importation). Data, configuration and OS are very well separated in FreeNAS so if you lose the OS you don't lose your data for example ;)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I know it's scary nik.96. Trust the experts. You'll be fine.

nik.96

Dabbler
I was unable to access the cli with my corrupt install. My boot says press enter to log in as multi user and just starts booting into normal freenas straight away. Smashing enter doesnt work :(

I know it's scary nik.96. Trust the experts. You'll be fine.

I read these forums for quite a while (long time lurker, first time poster) and have listened to the experts. I backed up the most important files :) But it would be nice not to have to re-rip my dvd's and have to download everything again esp on australian crap internet.

Im going to install freenas 9.3 and just import the pools by the GUI. (Fingers crossed) Will report back on the outcome.

Thank you EVERYONE who helped me. Really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.