Freenas to Ubuntu Server using rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

prescott

Dabbler
I searched whole google and I cannot find a proper guide/answers on how to set this up.

I want to set FreeNAS as PUSH and Ubuntu Server as PULL

Can someone with some spare time please tell me how to do it I would really appreciate it.

If someone is asking why I'm doing this, it's because I'm doing a backup if a disaster happens as I have some spare disks to use, so I've read rsync is the best for this kind of job.

Thanks!

Hudu

Dabbler
Follow this approach:
  1. Install rsyncd on ubuntu: apt-get install rsync
  2. Enable rsync by setting RSYNC_ENABLE to TRUE in the file /etc/default/rsync
  3. Install a proper configuration for the rsync-daemon
    Code:
    uid = <userid>
    gid = <groupid>
    pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
    read only = false
    hosts allow = *
    port = 873
    rsync user = rsync

[backup]
    path = <path>

Fill in <userid>, <groupid> and <path> for your needs. The user <userid> have to able to write under the path <path>.
  4. Restart the rsync-daemon: service rsync restart
  5. On the FreeNAS-Server start rsync: "rsync -av --progress <path-to-what-to-backup> rsync://rsync@<ubuntu-server-ip>/backup"

prescott

Dabbler
Can I set this as a task under rsync tasks? This looks like "rsync over SSH", do I need those public/private keys transfered as in the guide? There I was clueless on how to do it.

Also I set up a user specifically for rsync on FreeNAS and ubuntu? Do they need to be identical usernames and passwords?

Thanks!

Hudu

Dabbler
Yes. You can configure it in the web gui. It is NOT "rsync over SSH". It is rsync via "Rsync Module". So you do not need public nor private keys nor special users.

prescott

Dabbler
  1. uid = <userid>
  2. gid = <groupid>
What are those userid and groupid? IDs or usernames on PULL or PUSH? Also, on rsync as a module I cannot find the path to copy on the Ubuntu Server.. What should I also choose as a "user" on FreeNAS rsync as a module? You can clearly see I don't understand much..

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.