FreeNAS system disk does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prax

Cadet
Hi, I have a freenas 9.10.2-U1 system with the operating system in 3D mirrors by three USB sticks (I enclose photos). I realized that removing a USB stick in particular I do not like the system and I compare this saying: "this is a datadisk nas and can not boot the system.
I tried a discounted rate from my second pen, but I always compare the same warning.
I do not understand why, since the two pens are the mirror of the other pen, does not the freenas operating system start?
My fear is that breaking this stick will not be able to start the system.
Obviously I saved the configuration file
By putting the aforementioned pen back on, the system starts normal.

Anyone can tell me why with the other two pennies (mirror copies "mirroring") can not start the system?
help me please!!!

Attachments

• freenas.jpg
    freenas.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 243

kdragon75

Wizard
My guess is that the boot sector is not mirrored but the volume is. redundancy in the boot drive is more about preventing a total crash of a running system. Not saving the ability to boot. Most servers do not boot often.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
My guess is that the boot sector is not mirrored but the volume is. redundancy in the boot drive is more about preventing a total crash of a running system. Not saving the ability to boot. Most servers do not boot often.
USB may be a whole different story and dependent on the system board support for USB booting, but I have tested my system with SATA boot drives and it can boot from either drive.
mirrors by three USB sticks
USB sticks are the worst boot device you can choose. Please review this:
Hardware Requirements
http://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/

Note:
Capture.PNG

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I do not understand why, since the two pens are the mirror of the other pen, does not the freenas operating system start?
My fear is that breaking this stick will not be able to start the system.
Most likely, you need to select the specific USB stick to boot from in the BIOS. It probably only supports a single boot device and to switch requires manual intervention.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Prax

Cadet

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 250

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
You should take the data drives out of the list of potential boot drives in the BIOS.

The biggest problem is that system board:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H61MPRO/specifications/

Hardware selection makes a huge difference.

Were the USB drives in the system when FreeNAS was installed or did you try to add the mirror after the installation?
I have a freenas 9.10.2-U1 system
You might want to try doing a fresh install to the two USB drives you want to use. Install from FreeNAS version 11.1-U6 because you don't want to change too many things at once.
Obviously I saved the configuration file
Then restore the configuration file and reboot. The fresh install might fix the issue of being able to boot from either USB drive but that could still be a problem with the system board. I have seen far too many systems that were a pain to boot from USB.

My suggestion would be to get a SAS controller to run the data drives and use a SATA drive on one of the system board SATA ports as the boot drive. An old, small, SSD works great for that. Use two if you are concerned about reliability, but that doesn't appear to be something you are concerned about, based on this hardware selection.

Prax

Cadet
Hardware selection makes a huge difference.

Were the USB drives in the system when FreeNAS was installed or did you try to add the mirror after the installation?

First I installed the system sun a pen drive configured everything and then as a manual I added the other two thumb drives to make the mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.