FreeNAS system build for camera recordings

YvesT

Cadet
Hello everybody,

I am pretty new to FreeNAS, i have seen it in action but never really set everything up myself.
So i am not sure what direction to go spec wise.

I am hoping someone can point my in a direction for a FreeNAS server which servers only for getting camera recordings.
There are 32 Axis camera's which need direct to a storage server for camera images.
Before i just used a Windows PC but i didn't have more then 20 cameras so i could pull it of.
But now there are new cameras added and i need to find a new solution.

Is a Xeon CPU really necessary or could i have a decent server with a i7 or i9 CPU with 32GB ram ?

The camera's only record when movement. So it's not continues recording.

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I guess we should start with more detail on the streams...

How many would you say is the maximum concurrent streams?

How big are the streams (Kbps? Mbps?)

Also, what does this mean:
need direct to a storage server for camera images
direct access? SMB? over Network? proprietary cable? Capture card?

YvesT

Cadet
The maximum concurrent streams can vary, since they only record when there is movement on the camera.
So at times it might be 2 but busy times could mean all 32 are recording.
The streams are about 4Mbit each at the most.

Must have had a brain fart when i wrote that last part :)
The camera's use SMB protocol.

Currently the PC is a i9-9xxx series CPU(Socket 2066) with 32GB DDR4 and 2x 1TB SSD.
Which seems to handle the 20 camera's just fine, but due to the 20 user limitations i am not sure how well 32 camera's would handle.

sretalla