FreeNAS Sync Task with Dropbox to Sync Both Ways

Hi Everyone,

Searching through the forums and reading through the following "How To" article:

I'm still no wiser as to whether I can achieve true replication with Dropbox. What I am trying to achieve is the following:

- Create a Sync Task to Sync data with an existing Dropbox Business Account with about 500GB of data
- The data should be synced to FreeNAS from Dropbox initially
- After the initial sync is complete, the Dropbox and FreeNAS will be updated when changes are made at either end. For axmple, if data is deleted/changed directly in Dropbox, that changes is reflected in FreeNAS. When data is deleted/changed on the FreeNAS that change is replicated to Dropbox.

Is this possible or is it a one way sync only?

I hope I've explained myself well enough for you to understand. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Duke

Alecmascot

Guru

bluepr0

Dabbler
Why don't you set it up and test it ?
I set it up but it's only one way sync so I was asking if he found a way to do it. I'm exploring now using rclone to see if does what I need. Thanks for your message!

thinkjarvis

Cadet
I've just raised a simillar question.
Currently downloading PULL and SYNC action.
Once its done I'll do a test and see if it is able to sync if I add new files to the Nas copy.

As it stands - I think I will need two cloud actions - One PUSH / SYNC and One PULL / SYNC.

You have to understand the logic
If Dropbox is being used as an offsite backup for files on the NAS then you would only want to go one way as the NAS is your master copy. However if Dropbox is the master copy and the nas is a backup of dropbox then you would only want to go the other way.

So my understanding is in order to transfer both ways you need to have a Push and Pull action set to sync.

I'll update the thread once Ive tested it.
My dropbox has over 1million files in it. I think it will take about 4 days for the server to pull the data down.

What server are you using?

I have a HP Microserver Gen 8.
Its a 4 bay Nas but you can actually run 6 drives internal as below:
Xeon E3-1220LV2 2.3/2.5ghz 2 core 4 thread
12gb of ram - New 8gb stick and reuse current 4gb
OS boots from 120gb SSD connected to internal USB
120gb Quick data transfer SSD in CD drive caddy connected to ODD Sata Port - STRIPE Config
2tb/2tb NAS HDD Drives in bay 3 and 4 Raid
TBC - Final upgrade will either be 2 more HDD for bay 1 and 2 or 2 SSDs in adaptors in bay 1 and 2.

Wish I had spent a bit more and got one of these off Ebay - Xeon E3-1265L V2 (4 core / 8 threads)

thinkjarvis

Cadet
SOLUTION / ANSWERR FOUND:
I have a solution and explanation below as to how this could work longterm.

In my use case Dropbox is essentially providing GeoRedundancy and file recovery.

So I need to make a decision - Do I run the NAS Drive as the master record or Dropbox as the master record?

The reason for using the NAS in the first place is so that when I employ people they will be able to access the data at the same time as me without giving them a whole local copy of the Dropbox.

Dropbox would be a security risk as master record in this situation and defeats the point of having a NAS
An employee could purge the whole dropbox for example or take their sync copy of the whole dropbox with them if they quit. There would of course be nothing stopping someone taking an entire copy of the server locally to an external drive - But this is less likely to happen because it requires an Active not passive action to copy the data.

So once I have employees here the NAS must be master record.

Now the long term bit.

1. Move the Main Dropbox folder down one level. Then sync that folder NAS=Master Sync and PUSH
  2. Create a second folder designed to move remote work back to the server within the Dropbox for this folder: Dropbox=Master Sync and PULL
  3. This means I can still use Dropbox sensibly and just move new files back into the NAS file structure on return to the office.
  4. All files will therefore be present on the NAS and present in Dropbox
  5. BUT will require a manual action to sort them into the correct locations on the NAS
  6. A third folder may be required to be used as a file transfer for clients - This is a secure way to send files without opening up the whole dropbox to the client or leaving old share links active.
This is a limitation of TrueNAS and lack of a native application to allow bidirectional support.