DropBox Sync Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

f0rd42

Dabbler
Hi guys

I'm not looking for a way to make my freeness behaving like dropbox, I'm looking for a way to have it automatically sync with it.

I moved from QNAP to FreeNAS. On my QNAP there was a plugin that allows me to sync (one direction or bi-directional) my Dropbox to my NAS so I always have a copy of my complete Dropbox on my NAS for security / safety reasons.

Is there something available like this for FreeNAS? I search a while but couldn't find it. A simple rsync or similar job doesn't work as it needs to play nicely with the Dropbox API.

Thanks

Andre

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I sync a small portion of my FreeNAS server with my Dropbox account. What I did was install the Dropbox software to my desktop and when it asks for a location to store the Dropbox folder I pointed it to a folder on my server. Have had no problems at all for more than 3 months.

I sync a small portion of my FreeNAS server with my Dropbox account. What I did was install the Dropbox software to my desktop and when it asks for a location to store the Dropbox folder I pointed it to a folder on my server. Have had no problems at all for more than 3 months.

How did you do this cyerjock? I got a FreeNAS server running recently at my office and want to have dropbox syncing a certain folder. When I installed on a windows client and tried to point the dropbox folder to a share on the NAS box I get an error saying you cant map to a network drive. I tried following a workaround I found here and it will sync the data when DB initially launches, but if I add a file to that dropbox folder on the NAS it does not upload to dropbox. I have to manually quit dropbox and relaunch it in order for the new data to sync up. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I pointed Dropbox to a local folder(C:\username\Documents\Dropbox) and then shutdown dropbox, deleted that folder and created a hard link to the server location.

Capm

Cadet
Cyberjock, by "hard link", are you referring to a junction? As I understand it, hard links work only within a single directory (at least, that's the way they work in Windows). Or have you found a way to fool your system?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Guess it's called a junction in Windows. :P

Too many OSes that have their own words for things that have existed for decades.

Capm

Cadet
Thank you, Cyberjock. Along with creeping through setting up FreeNAS, I'm slowly trying to make sense of the ways the various platforms play together (or not). Thank you for the clarification, and the quick reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.