Does Dropbox Cloud Sync Work?

MajorKhanage

Cadet
Hi there,

Does anyone have the Dropbox cloud sync successfully working? I cannot get it to work for more than a few hours; after which I get the error "expired_access_token".

I went to "Add" credentials to "Cloud Credentials" and selected Dropbox.

Attempt 1:

• I created a App on Dropbox, with relevant permissions etc
  • Populate OAuth Client ID, OAuth Client Secret and Token in TrueNAS
  • Tested connection
  • Created "Cloud Sync Task"
Unfortunately Dropbox now only provides short-lived tokens and it stopped working a few hours later.

Attempt 2:

• I went to "Add" credentials to "Cloud Credentials" and selected Dropbox
  • Clicked "Log In To Provider"
  • A pop-up appeared and I allowed Dropbox access etc (Message: "Only proceed if you are setting up cloud sync on your TrueNAS system at https://{local TrueNAS ip address}/ui/credentials/backup-credentials")
  • Pop-up closed and no credentials were populated anywhere
  • I can see a new app in Dropbox called "TrueNAS CloudSync"

What am I supposed to do to get this integration to work? Help appreciated. I can't find any recent info on the forum about it, since Dropbox went to short-lived tokens a few years ago. The official documentation also doesn't really go into any details as far as I can find.

Thanks,

Marc

{Happy to provide my setup details if required, but felt it's not particularly relevant to this issue}

MajorKhanage

Cadet
Yeah, so for Core it looks like they won't be doing it.

My issue was getting it working in Scale. I finally found someone who said it did work for them, which made me try again: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...olders-have-no-subfolders.113510/#post-802522

And found that my issue was that it wasn't working in Google Chrome properly. As soon as I used a different browser it was able to pull down the required auth details from Dropbox. I started getting other auth issues with local ip addresses / domains with Chrome too so I think Google did an update which tightened up security for local urls. E.g. It stopped remembering creds when accessing my local security cameras ip address too.

Either way, I thankfully have it working for the past month after getting the creds using Edge instead of Chrome.