Freenas skips boot menu, but inconsistently

manofsticks

Cadet
Hardware
Motherboard: Intel DH61AG
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470T CPU @ 2.90GHz (4 cores)
Ram: 16gb
Hard Drives: M.2 SSD 600 256gb (install drive)
2x 4tb WD Red (unconfigured as of now)

Problem
When I boot my server, roughly 80% of the time, Freenas will simply bypass the boot menu instantly and go to a black screen regardless of my loader.conf settings, but otherwise boots fine (as far as I can tell).

The other 20% of the time it behaves as I would expect (following my loader.conf settings).

This problem starts immediately upon a fresh install (I've tried re-installing 3X times). I attributed it to being a default in my loader.conf at first, until I modified it, and started noticing the inconsistency.

The OS is fully updated to the most recent stable build, and I have made no configuration changes beyond the loader.conf.

Documentation
Youtube vid showing the problem here: https://youtu.be/Y462xnEwbek (sorry for quality, phone camera is garbage)

Photo of my loader.conf attached (specifically notice the autoboot delay to 15 seconds, and verbose mode being on; both of which are ignored)

Thank you for help!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-05-03 18-40-42.png
    Screenshot from 2019-05-03 18-40-42.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 392
D

dlavigne

Were you able to determine the root cause for this? If not, is the BIOS at the latest version? Any unneeded devices in the boot order section of the BIOS?

manofsticks

Cadet
Sorry for very delayed response.

I ended up abandoning the project, and had not discovered the root cause.

This actually got passed the bios, booting to the freenas loader successfully; aka it successfully loads the drive that freenas is installed to. It was the loader.conf boot menu that got skipped. (maybe extra clarity, if this were Linux I would say "it skips over the grub menu", although I know it's not grub here; just my knowledge of the BSD world is limited and not sure how better to describe it).