FreeNAS Server no longer found on network after restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimBean

Dabbler
I recently did my first FreeNAS build/installation and everything was working well, however today I had to shutdown my FreeNAS box in order to re-locate it and now I can't access it via the web GUI since I turned it on again (I had assigned it a static IP of 192.168.1.25 previously). None of my shares are accessible either.

I checked my network clients via my router and only found (what I think is) my motherboard's IPMI web interface at 192.168.1.103 (I had never seen this before). So now I am thinking that my config has been reset and/or something is wrong.

For troubleshooting purposes:
-After relocating my FreeNAS server I powered it on only to notice that it wasn't connected to the network because a cable wasn't connected to my switch. I connected the cable and ensured the FreeNAS server was connected to the network. I am wondering if powering-on FreeNAS when not connected to the network could have caused a problem?
-I am running FreeNAS 9.2.1 on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F with an Intel Xeon 1230v3 and 32GB of RAM.
-I have tried restarting FreeNAS but the problem remains.

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Is there a dhcp server on the new network which has assisned the NIC a dynamic IP?

How did you set the static IP previously?

joelmusicman

Patron
If you never saw the IPMI before, perhaps you didn't have it plugged in, and plugged your LAN cable into the IPMI port by mistake this time? Regardless, you could log into the IPMI and see what the FreeNAS console reports for an IP address.

JimBean

Dabbler
Is there a dhcp server on the new network which has assisned the NIC a dynamic IP?

How did you set the static IP previously?
If you never saw the IPMI before, perhaps you didn't have it plugged in, and plugged your LAN cable into the IPMI port by mistake this time? Regardless, you could log into the IPMI and see what the FreeNAS console reports for an IP address.

Thanks for the replies.

I have since connected a monitor and keyboard to my NAS to investigate further; the following is printed on the screen:

"This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System Halted."

So it seems like something has gone wrong here, perhaps with the boot drive. Does anyone have any experience with this error?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, that means your system tried to boot from a zpool disk and not the USB disk. The reason is dependent on many factors.

You are pretty much on your own to figure out which is the case and how to solve it since we don't have physical access to your hardware. :(

JimBean

Dabbler
Yes, that means your system tried to boot from a zpool disk and not the USB disk. The reason is dependent on many factors.

You are pretty much on your own to figure out which is the case and how to solve it since we don't have physical access to your hardware. :(

Okay thanks, I will check that my USB drive is functional and that my boot order is correct.

JimBean

Dabbler
Just an update: I went into the BIOS and sure enough found that my boot order was incorrect - Boot Option 1 was CD/DVD, Boot Option 2 was HDD 1, and Boot Option 3 was the USB drive. Once I had entered the correct order, the server booted into FreeNAS correctly.

Thanks for the help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There ya go! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.