No network interfaces found

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullust316

Cadet
Hi all,

Brand new to FREENAS and am trying to get it working with an older laptop. My laptop has a Intel 82573E gigabit ethernet card (which is supported by FreeNAS), but it doesn't appear under network interfaces (1 on the menu) nor does it appear when I run 'ifconfig'.

It is however seen when I run pciconf -lv:
Code:
em0@pci0:3:0:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x00921025 chip=0x108c8086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'Intel Corporation 82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (82573E)'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

I also tried downloading the FreeBSD Intel driver directly (v 5.1) and tried to build the module from the FreeNAS shell, but that didn't work either. I got the following error when I ran the 'make' command:
Code:
cd src; make
"/usr/share/mk/bsd.kmod.mk", line 12: "can't find kernel source tree"
*** Error code 1

Stop in /drivers/em-5.1.5.

I had thought that Intel network cards were supposed to be the easiest ones to use with FreeNas. Can somebody point me in the right direction to get FreeNAS to see this card?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
They are the easiest ones to use with FreeNAS. I'm willing to bet that the network card has been modified slightly to work in the laptop. Perhaps the class, card, chip, or rev is different to reflect these changes and so the driver isn't loading because it's not directly matching the hardware its expecting to find.

I really have no good solution for how you'd resolve this issue except to try using 8.3.0 or not use the laptop. I'm only recommending 8.3.0 in case there's a bug introduced and you're the first person to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.