FreeNAS Replication of Snapshots between two boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snapshot replication support.
Hi,
I colleague of mine depoyed ( not fully ) and then left me a FreeNAS solution.
If I can explain maybe you can help.
Every night a server backs up to on premise FreeNAS box creating a large file. ( 825GiB ).
So I have looked though the forums and cannot find a post that explains if I am being unrealistic or not.
I have played with Schedules and the like but cannot find anything that acheives what I am after.
So a snapshot every 2 hours is 825.8GiB bt the data has not changed since midnight..... The used bit is 792.0KiB.
I have a second FreeNAS box off site and the idea my colleague left me with was this amazing way that the two would talk to each other and copy the snapshots etc.
However, I have a horid feeeling that it is trying to copy the 825GiB every time and not the 792KiB. I had them on the same site and they were happily in sync. Is this even acheiveable or how should I be setting the replication. I dont understand how the snapshots are all the same size every two hours etc.

I know I should go and learn all about FreeNAS but currently I have a solution to deploy and get working that my colleague left me with. I have tried to read the forums but it is the Used column that is throwing me.

Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
Sine you have experience with technology and supporting clients, I imagen technical manuals are something you use and look for... But I'll save you the time of looking for it.
http://doc.freenas.org/

I have read the help and manuals and am stuck and that’s why I came on here for assistance I cannot spot the bit I am looking for

kdragon75

Wizard
http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#replication-tasks
Snapshots only contain changed data. The replication tasks only replicate snapshots. When using this, DO NOT delete snapshots, let them expire on their own. It's easy to mess up the replication. Also please tell me your not on 11.2.

guermantes

Patron
It's easy to mess up the replication. Also please tell me your not on 11.2.

Sorry to jump in. Because it is still in beta/rc or because of something else replication-wise?

Status
Not open for further replies.