Freenas plugins have started acting strangely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyClown

Patron
Afternoon all,

after doing the latest update to Freenas 9.3 stable branch, my plugins seem to have gone haywire!

Initially all my plugins looked like they needed updating, which I did.I then noticed some of them couldn't be restarted, despite restarting the jails. On closer inspection it appears the updates weren't updates at all and were in fact rolling back to earlier versions, which in the case of BTSync and Plex seems to have broken them!

An example of this weird phenomenon can be seen if I go to the plugins/available tab and repeatedly click refresh. The version of BTSync stated as available will randomly cycle between version 1.4, version 2.2 and version 2.21

Does anyone have a clue what's going on here? My biggest concern is getting my Plex server up and running again? Is there a simple way of backing up the settings and configuration files of Plex, so that I can at least install it again, as I am getting a 404 error every time I try to update it to the correct version again (as seen in attached screen shot)

Attachments

• available plugins 1.jpg
    available plugins 1.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 219
  • available plugins 2.jpg
    available plugins 2.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 205
  • available plugins 3.jpg
    available plugins 3.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 223
  • Plex update 404 error.jpg
    Plex update 404 error.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 263

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
probably do to some hiccups in the CDN network. I would suggest no one do any plugin upgrades until this get resolved

CraftyClown

Patron
Yep, slightly too late for me :(

I noticed I had a number of updates to do, but didn't notice the older release numbers and rolled back most of my plugins!

I've fixed most of them except for BTSync and Plex. BtSync isn't an issue as I can just reinstall and set it up again without too much difficulty, Plex however I'm more concerned about.

I know Plex isn't one of your plugins Josh, but would you happen to know if there's a painless way of getting the config files from my existing Plex installation and migrating them to a fresh install? I have managed to install the latest version again, I just can't update the old one :(

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yep, slightly too late for me :(

I noticed I had a number of updates to do, but didn't notice the older release numbers and rolled back most of my plugins!

I've fixed most of them except for BTSync and Plex. BtSync isn't an issue as I can just reinstall and set it up again without too much difficulty, Plex however I'm more concerned about.

I know Plex isn't one of your plugins Josh, but would you happen to know if there's a painless way of getting the config files from my existing Plex installation and migrating them to a fresh install? I have managed to install the latest version again, I just can't update the old one :(
I think it should be as easy as saving your /var/db/plexdata

zosoleary

Dabbler
blarg, stuck in the same rut. should of read the forums when it started acting strangely. live and learn

zosoleary

Dabbler
not at all; i've already did my rollbacks and nothing is lost in any sense. it's just annoying at this particular moment because i wanted to get a 1.5t transfer going before i leave to enjoy my sunday; but i need to set up a jail with mbuffer before doing so and can't right now. oh and just now, all my plugins sans sonarr say there is a update available on the installed tab (which just started happening for me). looks like it will be a "tomorrow problem"

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
can someone who is currently getting the bad mirror record the IP? the below should do the trick. thanks
ping download.freenas.org

zosoleary

Dabbler
PING iso.freenas.anycastcdn.net (104.156.60.49)

it's finishing the ping just fine:
iso.freenas.anycastcdn.net ping statistics ---
9 packets transmitted, 9 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 68.702/69.900/71.509/0.905 ms

Ixian

Patron
PING iso.freenas.anycastcdn.net (142.234.110.30): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 142.234.110.30: icmp_seq=0 ttl=49 time=88.607 ms

I was in the same situation - doing Sunday maintenance, thought I was paying attention when in fact I wasn't paying close enough attention :) Only did one, Emby, before I caught it. Luckily I do 2 hour snapshots so it was a simple matter of a 5 second rollback + restart jail to get back to the current version (thanks ZFS) but thought I'd report it anyway.

zosoleary

Dabbler
anyone have the ip of a working mirror that i can put into a hosts file temporarily until everything gets sorted?

Ixian

Patron
Why not just ignore it? It's not like there are a bunch (or any) plugins that got updated in the last couple of days. If this goes on for a week for some reason I can see seeking out other mirrors, maybe, but if that happens there are bigger problems afoot.

zosoleary

Dabbler
because i accidently "updated" them this morning which regressed them to outdated versions and now plex is too old of a version to connect to and i can not create new jails which i need in order to do some specific transfering

CraftyClown

Patron
because i accidently "updated" them this morning which regressed them to outdated versions and now plex is too old of a version to connect to and i can not create new jails which i need in order to do some specific transfering

The way I got around this was to reinstall Plex via the gui and then copy the Plex data from the old install over to the new install and I was up and running again in about 10 minutes

zosoleary

Dabbler
I either get a "Error: umount ... not a file system root directory" or "can not find template" error when trying to install a fresh plugin or create a new jail. Im unfortunately still stuck on the bad mirror as it is still trying to install old plugin versions and old freenas system version (when creating a new default jail). So, I'm still playing the waiting game

CraftyClown

Patron
I either get a "Error: umount ... not a file system root directory" or "can not find template" error when trying to install a fresh plugin or create a new jail. Im unfortunately still stuck on the bad mirror as it is still trying to install old plugin versions and old freenas system version (when creating a new default jail). So, I'm still playing the waiting game

I just pressed refresh a few times on the available plugins tab, until it switches to one of the good mirrors and I can download the latest plugin.

Ixian

Patron
Though it may be too late for some of you this time around this would be a good reason to set up snapshots of all your important jails and replicate them to a backup volume. That way if this (or something else) happens again literally all you do is go to the last good snapshot of the jail(s) - I do mine every 2 hours - click rollback, and restart the jail and you are right back to exactly where you were pre-problem.

This is after all one of the main features of ZFS, and why you are presumably using FreeNAS and not some other NAS/Media server combo :) Snapshots are literally just records of changes and in the case of most jails take up next to no space - I keep mine going back 2 weeks. They are backups insurance for exactly this kind of thing. If you replicate them off to another volume/disk set (or better yet, another FreeNAS box) you have a pretty solid backup for device failure as well.

wisebear

Cadet
After accidental updating of transmission, btsync and plex plugins I have successfully rolled back everything. But now the plugins versions are not shown correctly in FreeNAS GUI. Is there any fix for this ? From where this version information come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.