FreeNas on VirtuaBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndeere768

Cadet
Hello

I have a quick question regarding FreeNas on VirtualBox. I know how to install FreeNas on VirtualBox on a USB stick, my question is can FreeNas be able to detect the drives on my computer? Because right now I'm testing this and FreeNas is running off a USB stick and it seems that it is not able to detect the hard disk on the machine. Is there something I'm missing or I should do on VirtualBox?

Thanks in advance

tropic

Dabbler
If you're running FreeNAS inside a virtual environment, you'll have to use the hypervisor to create and present logical disks to FreeNAS. So create some virtual HDDs with VirtualBox for your FreeNAS VM.

mullcom

Explorer
some Q =D

Hey.

I'm sitting at this very moment and think about what I should do just that.

I was for me to use Virtualbox and it've worked well but I want the utnjytna disks you put into the machine to Freenas.
The only way seems to be that virtalisera up varge disk but I ran into some trouble, or rather meekness question mark.

issue
The first When I create a disk in virtualbox, I will determine the size and the question is here what is best?
Fixed or dynamic.
Today I have chosen dynamic and selected up to 2 tb. Tests with a test drive at 160GB. the problem is then that in freenas as it feels that the disk is 2TB?

it is better perhaps to use the fixed value, and write 158 as it is the more accurate valuation of the disk?

The second I wonder how it would be and make a backup of this type of virtualicering.

it is enough to make a backup of the file itself is created.
What if the system that controls the virtualbox krachar. so you should be able imports the file again
on a whole new system? or is it something I'm missing?

the file will be too great in the future to backup?

Another idea is to run a RAID type of the system running virtualbox.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.