FreeNAS on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johannes

Dabbler
Hope I'm not stepping on any toes or kicking any dead horses here.

Just curious if any thought has gone into FreeNAS on Linux?

I seems fairly clear that linux and particularly the mainstream distributions have a significantly larger user bases as compared to BSD. ZFS on Linux seems to be rapidly developing. Linux tends to have more/better driver support.

Philosophically, now that ZFS has spread to linux and is even being mainlined by canonical, is there any reason to stay with BSD exclusively?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Because FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD, I'm not seeing it going the way of Linux. Also there is a lot of confusion/concern regarding actual licensing. While I do believe the Ubuntu has recently included OpenZFS support; it may come back to haunt them in some legal areas.

Personally I do prefer FreeBSD especially in the fact of the licensing model ("Berkeley Software Distribution"; hence the "BSD"). Linus Torvalds himself even has issues with them trying to move to GPLv3 and things are becoming overly complicated.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
ZFS has been in FreeBSD since 2007. There aren't any Linux ZFS implementations that have had that degree of testing and evolution.

As far as drivers, I could agree with the "more" part. Are there any specific drivers missing that would make a big difference to FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.