FREENAS not seeing drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

cillian

Cadet
HI, see attached image for details

I just downloaded the latest Freenas today and installed successfully.

I get the message that "No available drives have been found"

You can see my system information in the JPG

The drive is a brand new Seagate 2TB that works flawlessly in a USB dock in another computer

I had the same problem with an earlier version of Freenas and a different PC

Any ideas?

All help greatly appreciated

Picture1.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have 4GB of RAM. Nothing works 100% without 8GB of RAM. 8GB of RAM is the minimum for FreeNAS 9.3. If you use less the OS performs erratically and has unexpected errors and problems.

In short, this is totally expected for conditions since you don't have the minimum hardware requirements.

cillian

Cadet
thanks for the quick reply.

I used freenas in a box in my shop for about two years and it worked perfect on a machine with only 2GB RAM, I guess what I'm asking is .... is there an older version i can use?

I just use it as a storage box to back up customers files in my shop

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can use older versions, but if you have a problem you'll be on your own.. the forum as a whole doesn't support stuff that's more than a few months old. There are also tons of security problems in the old code, so using the older stuff is at your own risk.

Keep in mind the old FreeNAS project was totally different code and the 2GB limit has *never* existed for this codebase except for UFS. ZFS has always required 6GB+ of RAM minimum.

If you want to use the old FreeNAS project you should look at NAS4Free.

Older versions are available from download.freenas.org.

cillian

Cadet
that could be my problem alright, when i initially setup my freenas a few years back it asked me to format the drive as UFS (which i believe is no longer used?) that box only had 1GB of RAM and did the job flawlessly , Im trying booting my new box now with 4GB

cillian

Cadet
there's definitely something weird going on , i just installed nas4free and it can't see the drive either

Picture2.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sounds like maybe your hardware isn't compatible with FreeBSD. I have no idea what the hardware requirements for NAS4Free are currently, so you may want to check (or ask their forum users if this should work with your hardware).

gpsguy

You said "The drive is a brand new Seagate 2TB that works flawlessly in a USB dock in another computer". Did you format it with another OS, like NTFS ...

If so, you'd need to wipe the drive, to make it appear like it was truly a new drive. If you want to use UFS, use one of the versions prior to 9.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.