iSCSI headache Seeing/not seeing data

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnFLi

Contributor
Code:
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2 (a476f16)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz

I haven't had my FreeNAS for to long, and it isn't in production yet, so I can nuke it as much as I need to get it running as needed.
Main goal is to have a Mac machine (that is connected to it via Sonnet Twin10G thunderbolt) see the Volume I created on the FreeNAS box as a local drive.

I've tried AFP, SMB and NFS, no luck with any of them.
My latest attempt is with iSCSI, setup was quick and simple, and connecting to it was easy.

Now for the headache part......
On the Mac machine, it does see the Volume as locally connected, (GREAT!) I can create, modify and delete items (more great)....except it doesn't see the data that is already on there. If (from a windows box) I go to the UNC path that I had created earlier for that Volume I can see the data just fine. On the mac machine I use the UNC, it sees all the data just fine.

ok, maybe I messed something up on the Mac machine....

Windows 2012R2 machine, i connect with iSCSI, connects nice and easy. Yet, it doesn't show any of the existing data. Doesn't even see the data the Mac put there. Heck, I even formatted it.

Any ideas?
Like I said earlier, the Primary need is to have the mac machine see it as local (the reason is so spotlight will work)

Last edited by a moderator:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Well, you can't have multiple initiators (client machines) connected to a single iscsi target.

You're asking for data loss here.

bigphil

Patron
iSCSI is for block storage, not SMB/CIFS access which it sounds like you are trying to do. Without a clustered file system, you can only have one client accessing the iSCSI target at a time.

JohnFLi

Contributor
I did not have them both going at the same time.... forgot to add that part.
Because I was having issues with the Mac, I disconnected it, then tried with the windows box

Last edited by a moderator:

bigphil

Patron
what file system did you format the iSCSI disk with?

JohnFLi

Contributor
When I had the Mac connected, I formated it as (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)).
When connected to Windows, NTFS

I am thinking what I might try next is to have the mac mount it, then have the Mac be the system that dishes out the shares.
Unless anybody else know how to get spotlight to work on a remote device..... I seriously, seriously dislike Mac

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you formatted it when you hooked it up to Windows, of course the data wasn't there. Windows can't use HFS+ filesystem...

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I wish people would Google "iSCSI", followed by SCSI, before jumping into creating iSCSI "shares".

JohnFLi

Contributor

JohnFLi

Contributor
If you formatted it when you hooked it up to Windows, of course the data wasn't there. Windows can't use HFS+ filesystem...

The data is there. When I connected iScsi with windows, I had to format it first. One would think that poof, data is gone. Windows said it was empty and I copied data there.
Disconnected it from windows, re-connected the Mac to it, the previous Mac data was still there, but not the items Windows put there.

Put since iScsi allows the mac to index it, and spotlight works fine, I will have the mac control the shares for it.
instead of \\Freenasbox\share it will be \\mac\shareonmac

Have a dandy year all.

Status
Not open for further replies.