FreeNAS Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCH

Cadet
Hello Everyone,

i am new to the FreeBSD and FreeNAS community and have high hopes for this platform. First of all thanks for reading this and hopefully i can be pointed in the right direction as i am unsure on the terms used to do what i am trying to do.

My Plan is to setup 3 FreeNAS servers all in different locations. i have 2 setup now to test stuff out before i take the time to build and setup the 3rd. i hope to achieve active file syncing to all 3 servers so they are mirrors of each other so at each location file access is practically instant and any changes will push to the other servers.

i though that owncloud would do most of the the heavy lifting on this if i setup a shared folder with one user and have all the local pcs log in as that user. which works but i cannot get the 2 owncloud servers to validate the self signed ssl.

i am using no-ip if that either helps or hurts. i can use the web interface on both servers from several locations but neither connect via https and i get the cross though it in chrome.

i followed this thread https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/owncloud-ssl-self-signed-certs.15187/
and i am still running into trouble

i also have windows share for backups of the local pcs which i would like to auto copy to the other servers as well and i am unsure how to go about doing that.

My apologizes for putting this here but i did not want to start another thread for something that has more than likely been answered many times.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
i am new to the FreeBSD and FreeNAS community and have high hopes for this platform.
Welcome.
i hope to achieve active file syncing to all 3 servers so they are mirrors of each other
For three-way mirroring, you might want to try Syncthing or BitTorrent Sync.
i also have windows share for backups of the local pcs which i would like to auto copy to the other servers as well and i am unsure how to go about doing that.
Is the idea to backup PCs at one location, then replicate those backups to each of the other two locations? If so, choose your preferred method for backing up the PCs to the local server (e.g. Windows Backup, Arq Backup), then use either ZFS snapshots+replication or rsync to replicate to the other locations.

RCH

Cadet
For three-way mirroring, you might want to try Syncthing or BitTorrent Sync.
i dabbled trying to setup Syncthing on FreeNAS but failed horribly i will look for a good guide TY. i used BitSync before trying FreeNAS and was too much network traffic and killing the VoIP Phones.

Is the idea to backup PCs at one location, then replicate those backups to each of the other two locations? If so, choose your preferred method for backing up the PCs to the local server (e.g. Windows Backup, Arq Backup), then use either ZFS snapshots+replication or rsync to replicate to the other locations.
Could you point me to a rsync guide that covers something like this if you have seen one?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
BitSync ... was too much network traffic
You can limit the bandwidth in the Advance Preferences if that's a problem.
Could you point me to a rsync guide that covers something like this if you have seen one?
I haven't, but the documentation covers ZFS snapshot replication and rsync. If you're still stuck after reading that, create a thread with specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.