FreeNAS network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent54

Dabbler
I know someone is going to say why but I know during or after the FreeNAS installation it posts an IP address that one uses to gain access to the web interface for setup. Based on the instruction guide I read that was through a LAN connection. My question is, is this possible through either a wireless adapter connection or a wireless extender through its LAN port? I ask because I'm working out where I'm going to place the NAS box and at the moment the ideal place way from pets and people will cause it to be connected wirelessly until I figure out a wired plan for same location.

andoy31

Explorer
Should be possible. Just install a wireless card and freenas/freebsd drivers then assign an ip and should be good to go.

Silent54

Dabbler
But doesn't FreeNAS grab the IP address during installation? If I understand the installation process, FreeNAS installs and pops up an IP address on the screen at the end of the install that allows you to connect through a web interface to do the actual config. If I plugin a wireless adapter let's say a USB wireless adapter, I won't be able to install any software required for that adapter. So, you believe that FreeNAS will recognize the adapter and pull an IP address through the wireless adapter? If I go this route, I'm trying to figure out whether a internal or USB adapter could be used as they are cheaper compared to getting a range extender and connecting the box by wired LAN and the extender would be setup through its web interface.

andoy31

Explorer
by default, (I think) freenas uses DHCP hence grabbing the IP address during installation, you can change this to static ip so to make it permanent..

Freenas can recognize the adapter provided you have a freebsd driver (not sure if freenas has some usb wireless drivers compiled with the kernel) that came with your adapter and/or you've compiled a freebsd driver and install it in freenas.
try to search for freebsd drivers (depending on your freenas version) of your planned adapter and weigh your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.