SOLVED I'm losing network connection to NAS after sleep/reboot

pete33w

Cadet
I have three computers networked together with a four running TrueNAS. I can get everything talking and sharing the drive but as soon a computer goes to sleep then that computer will not restore its connection up waking up, also if I restart a computer it will not restore the connection. The others will maintain their connection as long as they stay awake. Its not just a loss of the mapped drive, I can't even the ping the NAS after waking up/reboot. If I reset the connection on the NAS then everything will comeback and be available again.

I have gone through and checked LAN options on the computers and can't find anything out of sorts.
Network setup:
1. PC hardwire to switch
2. PC hardwire or wireless
3. Mac wireless
4. TrueNAS hardwire to switch

Given that the setup is different types of computer with different connections but everything is having the same issue, it must be the NAS? It seems like the only common denominator.

Any ideas, what I am missing?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

This is the vehicle problem.

We're very sorry you're having problems with your vehicle. However, since you haven't told us what kind of vehicle you have, it's very hard to provide any guesses. A diesel truck, a gas moped, and an electric car may all fail to start, but each have very different failure modes. Going to an automotive forum and saying that your vehicle won't start is unlikely to receive useful advice. There just isn't enough to work with.

To help generate better responses to your inquiry, please take a few moments to review the Forum Rules, and in particular, the section about creating a useful problem report. Without better insight into your hardware and what you're actually doing, you are not likely to get useful responses.

Your message seems to suggest that you may be trying to sleep the NAS. Do not do this. It's a bad idea for the same reasons that have been detailed on these forums a hundred times before.

If a fresly woken client cannot ping the NAS, that seems like a networking problem of some sort, probably on the client's side.

pete33w

Cadet
I realized that that there is so many variables but I don't know what information to add.
That being said you are 100 percent right it was a networking problem.

It has been driving me crazy for days and as soon as I posted this I realized I hadn't scanned through the assigned IPs table on the router. For what reason, I have no idea, my DHCP assigned an identical IP address to the TrueNAS. So whenever a computer wakes up/restarts I am sure it was immediately in an IP conflict and I just didn't see it.

Manual set the IPv4 on my NAS box and it all works perfectly! I'm so happy right now, I'm very much a networking amateur.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No worries. We're here to give you a shove in the right direction, or insights you maybe hadn't thought of.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And I should have followed my instincts and advised you against DHCP for servers.