FreeNas Mount Point Failure/ Possible Bad Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjoe

Cadet
Hello FreeNAS Community,

First time user of FreeNAS and fairly new to system administration. System configured as fallows:
FreeNAS--0.7.2.Sabanda

I recently took over a SysAdmin's work and I took over his FreeNAS system. It is a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with 6 disks connected and a FAS 250, 12 disk array. Both of these systems looks like they have had 7-12 years of life already. The SysAdmin had a public SMB share drive accessible to the users and it has been down for a several weeks and the users mentioned the system beeping a lot and of a possible dsk failure . This is the first time I have used FreeNAS and my experience with FreeBSD is minimal. And I have not been successful with finding useful errors.

After gaining access to the web interface I noticed
Code:
root: mount: /dev/stripe/datap1 : No such file or directory

A mount problem. This is the only relevant error I have found on the system. Is there an easy way to trouble shoot these problems using the FreeNAS tools? Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

danjoe

Yell

Explorer
stripe sounds like a raid problem.

post the output of

Code:
zpool status

Code:
gstripe status

and

Code:
cat /var/log/messages

danjoe

Cadet
Hey Yell,

Thanks for your input.

Code:
zpool status
no pools available

getstripe status
getstripe: Command not found.

tail -120 /var/log/system.log
Oct 27 01:05:21 bafs mDNSResponder: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 4
Oct 27 01:05:35 bafs last message repeated 5 times
Oct 27 02:15:43 bafs mDNSResponder: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 4
Oct 27 02:15:58 bafs last message repeated 4 times
Oct 27 02:53:31 bafs mDNSResponder: ERROR: getOptRdata - unknown opt 4
Oct 27 02:53:44 bafs last message repeated 7 times

I actually turned off the FAS 250 which contains 12 disks because it started to beep again. The beep problem is intermittent. I assume it is a disk problem or raid problem but I have not yet figured it out. I will power it back up and hopefully it stays up so I can repeat these commands. However the previous admin appeared to use the 6 disks of the Dell Power Edge as a BU to some of his stuff and it is configured as a SOFT RAID. It looks like the SMB share, which is what I am concerned about is using UFS as it's file system. If need be if I do not figure this out in a timely fashion I will just use the Dell Power Edge has my FAS but it is a shame to loose the SMB data. The more I think about it, my problem most likely lies in the FAS 250, 12 dsk array.

Thanks again,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.