FreeNAS Mini XL - Won't boot to SATA DOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpearcefl

Contributor
Bought a FreeNAS Mini XL and have been configuring it at my desk. I carefully moved it this morning to it's permanent location. On boot I get "This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted."

When the system is booting is I wait until the Marvel screen shows and press Control M, the boot disk shows there. If I wait a little longer and press F2 to get into the BIOS, I do not see the drive (or the ZIL or L2ARC) listed.

How do I get this system to boot from the DOM?

m0nkey_

MVP
Not not 100% sure, but I believe the DOM is supposed to be attached to the Intel controller on that board. Have you tried moving it to rule out the Marvel controller?

dpearcefl

Contributor
It appears to be glued into the socket. It came plugged into a Marvel socket.

I see the drive in Advanced "Storage Configuration" screen. But it is not listed in the Boot Option #1 pulldown.

If I let the post process get to the end and press F11 to select the boot device, it is listed and if I select it, it goes into FreeNAS.

dpearcefl

Contributor
Got it running. I don't remember the exact BIOS wording (because it is booted and working now), but I needed to change the BBS boot order. Once, I did that, all is well.

Arwen

MVP
Yep, a SATA DOM should work just fine in a Marvel SATA port. My FreeNAS Mini, (same system board
as the XL), had it's original SATA DOM in a Marvel SATA port. When I added a mirror to it, I also used a
Marvel SATA port. Both seem to work fine, though I don't know if it will auto-boot off my mirror on complete
failure of the original SATA DOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.