Freenas loses internet connection after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostras

Cadet
It seems there's a chance after a reboot that Freenas decides it doesn't want internet connection anymore.

Somewhat at a loss since I've double checked the settings...

pksPHxd.png

I don't really know what else you want to see so shoot me if this isn't enough.

Freenas IP is 192.168.123.102
Default gateway and router/modem is 192.168.123.254
DNS servers are from namebench and work on my desktop.

Might be relevant, my transmission jail (plugin) seems to randomly crap itself every couple reboots forcing me to reinstall it.

Last edited:

Nostras

Cadet
Not much later I got a lot of issues logging into steam and other clients, after a couple hours of toying around I finally figured out it must be the modem somewhere...
And yes, it appears my modem has its firewall sometime between this morning and afternoom set to medium instead of low, meaning whitelisting only. Default whitelisting is horribly outdated and blocks about all the ports except for a select few.
After resolving this issue I had internet access once again.

The problem with plugins randomly losing internet is still a thing, but it isn't right now. Kinda tough to solve a problem that isn't acting up right now.

D

dlavigne

If it acts up again, post a screenshot of the output of the ifconfig command.

Nostras

Cadet
It's acting up again.
Pinging the gateway or my pc works fine, pinging 8.8.8.8 works too, but pinging google.com does not work. My guess is a DNS issue.

http://i.snag.gy/4G6z2.jpg

It seems to have resolved after about half an hour and a reboot, is this normal?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Nope, not normal. Replacing the Realtek NIC might fix it....

Nostras

Cadet
I'm not really feeling like throwing some money at a NIC that might not even fix it.
Isn't there something I can try to make sure the problem is the current NIC or a workaround?

Nostras

Cadet
I'll deal with it for now.
If I see one at a flea market, not Realtek, I'll be sure to try it.

It's not that bad, I just need to wait up to 30 minutes for the NAS to get internet connection. It works fine as a NAS at boot.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Realteks are known to be crap. Your odd behavior sounds totally like the result of using Realtek.

no_connection

Patron
Do you have IPv6 enabled router?
Even with no public address I have had devices wanting to use IPv6 instead of IPv4 when the DNS replied with AAAA record.
Disabling the IPv6 stack solved that problem.

If it's just suuper slow it might not pass UDP port 53 properly and fall back to TCP for DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.