FreeNAS keeps crashing with Windows Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyG

Dabbler
Hi,

I am new to Freenas so please forgive me if the answer is something obvious..
I have put together a freenas system using some spare parts that I had around, 1 to get a feel of it and also to hopefully have it replace my D-Link NAS that I am currently using.

I have been able to get Freenas to join my Active Directory and domain, and create a simple network share
I have configured one of my windows systems on the domain to perform a windows backup to the network share, however when the backup takes place it, fails after writing about 1.5Gb of data out of 41.5Gb of data. The reason for the failure seems to be due to freenas crashing.

Tests that I have run, have shown the freenas only crashes when the backup is running, if I disable it, freenas runs happly for days.

However I am not sure where the logs would be for the crash, nothing seems to be in /var/log other than normal start up logging.

kdragon75

Wizard

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The reason for the failure seems to be due to freenas crashing.
Can you be more specific? Does it hang, does it panic, ...?

SunnyG

Dabbler
It seems to hang, I am not sure if it is a panic, as I cannot see the start of the crash, I will try and grab a screenshot from the next occurrence before I reset it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just to be clear, neither SSH nor the webGUI nor the local console respond?

SunnyG

Dabbler
That is correct, neither of these respond, using CTRL+ATL+DEL on the freenas also does not give a response, of terminating, it shows a dump and freezes

Edit:
Managed to get a screenshot of the error as it occurred on the freenas. and logs from /data/crash

Attachments

• dump.jpg
    dump.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Freenas.zip
    223.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ACPI lock? Sounds like we need to know your hardware. Also, start examining system firmware updates.

SunnyG

Dabbler
Hardware is as per my signature:

ntel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
16GB DDR3 NON-ECC RAM
LSI SAS 9210-8i
Gigabyte GA-Z77P-D3 Motherboard

Motherboard has the latest (well last released BIOS), same with the LSI (although its running in IR mode and not IT, but don't think that would be causing it).
XCHI is turned off along with USB and realtek NIC, the on Board Controller card for SATA is still on and has my Kingston drive attached to it, which is where freenas is installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.