FreeNAS is running and has given me an ip address but the pc's cannot see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was using freeNAS fine until yesterday when all of the sudden, the PC's in our office stopped being able to access it. I rebooted freenas and remapped the drives and all was good. Then this morning the same thing has happened. I have re-booted freenas and it has given me the same IP address but now the PC's cannot see the drive at all either from explorer or webgui.

Please help as i need to recover company data off the drive.

Si.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hardware?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Using it on an acer desktop, running from usb. seems to be working correctly.
All office pc's are HP all in ones, running windows 10. Can see other network locations.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Details make a difference. What exactly is the hardware that FreeNAS is running on?

It's an Acer Veriton N4630G with 4gb ram.
office machines are HP ProOne400's with 8gb ram.
All running on building network with dedicated switch.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I suggest you shut down the FreeNAS.
Then click the button in my signature that says "Useful Links". Start reading those and all your questions will be answered.

The problem you have is that you are trying to use incompatible hardware as the platform for a Server.

Once you have an adequate hardware platform, you can move the boot drive and data drives over to it and bring the system back online.

garm

Wizard
Any OS with support for OpenZFS will be able to import the pool. Some differences in implementation may cause write issues, but you should be able to read them. But I would stick with FreeNAS if I where in a production environment and simply get a off the shelf server.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Otherwise is there a way to get the data off the drives?
The problem you have is not with FreeNAS. The problem is with the hardware you chose. All you need is a system that fills the minimum hardware requirement, which yours does not. I am not telling you that you need to go purchase a, "new server" but you do need to follow some guidance, which you didn't before and that is why this has failed.

You don't even need to reinstall FreeNAS or reconfigure anything, just move the boot drive and data drives to a compatible hardware platform.
Intel NIC is important. Having enough memory is important.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
sorted it. Without me realising, the freenas had gotten rid of the 8.8.8.8 dns nameserver.
Thanks for your help.
That is not going to cause a system to crash. You don't even need to populate that for FreeNAS to work. That is only needed so it can reach out and check for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.