FreeNAS Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Carlo

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Firstly, I'm new to NAS and the FreeNAS forums, so bare with me here if you can. I'm currently researching into building a NAS system, but I wanted to play with the software first on a my Lenovo Y570 laptop (i7 processor 8gb RAM) which I no longer use. I burned the latest version 9.2 to a CD and when I booted to it, initialization failed with an error:

init: initial setsid() failed: Operation not permited
cp: cannot overwrite directory /etc/nameb with non-directory /conf/default/etc/namedb
cp: symlink: /usr/sbin/rmt: File exists

From here, the install screen appears, but does not allow me to choose option 1 and select a disk. It just reloads the screen. And so I am forced to quit.

I have verified the integrity of the download file using the hash and that matches up. I have also tried using another laptop and installing from a usb drive instead, but I get this message each time. Is this most likely an issue with hardware or firmware compatibility? Let me know what you think. Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your laptop hardware is probably not compatible with FreeBSD. You may have a bad USB stick too.

Monty Carlo

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply! I had suspected that. However, I do want to be sure that the hardware I buy for my build is compatible with FreeBSD. It would be a shame to go through all this trouble to find this error come up later on. It'll be a budget machine for sure, but any idea if the following hardware would be compatible?

Case: Lian Li PC-Q25B
Motherboard/CPU: ASRock E350M1
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX430 430W
Hard Drive: 2 TB WD Red SATA 5400 RPM NAS

I'm new to this, so if anyone finds a major issue here, feel free to point it out.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes.. check out the stickies. ECC RAM, server grade motherboard, etc is pretty much required. Getting a motherboard with built-in Intel NICs and IPMI are major pluses.

Monty Carlo

Cadet
Ah, I see. Well, in that case, there's a bit of misleading information floating around outside the forums. Thanks for pointing me to those stickies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. we despise the incorrect info. I've tried to tell some of the people responsible for disseminating incorrect info but they don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.