freenas installation on ada0 has failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boosteriscat123

Dabbler
Hi I just bought a Refurb T3500 from newegg and it has a W3680 intel and 12 GB of ram and a 1 TB drive .. I added a second drive 2TB and am now going to / Try to install FreeNas but I keep getting this error ( freenas installation on ada0 has failed ) .. Please keep in mind I am very new to this and have 0 experience with FreeNAS.. I am not new to computers in general but a complete noob when it comes to servers and how to set things up...

Would be great if someone could point me in the right direction...

Are you installing the FreeNAS OS on a USB stick rather than the HDDs? If not, you should be. The OS requirements are around 8GB of space. You will need two USB sticks - one for the installation media and the other for the FreeNAS OS. The installation section of the FreeNAS doc is an excellent instructional guide if you're not already using it. Assuming identical USB sticks, once you've finished with the installation media, use it to mirror the other stick (the boot device) to eliminate the FreeNAS OS being a single point of failure on your system. Instructions can be found here in the doc.

Boosteriscat123

Dabbler
Are you installing the FreeNAS OS on a USB stick rather than the HDDs? If not, you should be. The OS requirements are around 8GB of space. You will need two USB sticks - one for the installation media and the other for the FreeNAS OS. The installation section of the FreeNAS doc is an excellent instructional guide if you're not already using it. Assuming identical USB sticks, once you've finished with the installation media, use it to mirror the other stick (the boot device) to eliminate the FreeNAS OS being a single point of failure on your system. Instructions can be found here in the doc.

No I was installing it on a spare 120 GB SSD ... I did in fact get it installed to a usb after but now it on reads the SSD as a storage device and do not recognize the HDD's 1 TB and a 2 TB storage drives... I would have thought performance would be better on a ssd then a crappy thumb drive? Any thoughts on where to look to get those drives to show up...

Thanks for the response as well i'm looking forward to getting all this sorted..

USB performance is not an issue. Check this post. If you boot from the USB and can manage to get to the FreeNAS GUI, under Storage > View Disks, what do you see?

Boosteriscat123

Dabbler
Perhaps I should remove the hdd's and format them? I'll have to look into it later as I have to head to work.. Hoping to get this puppy up and running sometime the weekend :) Thanks for your time ..

You shouldn't have to format the HDDs. Strange you can't see them, but can see the SSD. Have you tried disconnecting the SSD to see if the drives reappear? As FreeNAS installation failed on the SSD, I wonder if it is the issue? You might want to check this current post out for SSD considerations.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
An SSD is a significantly better boot device than a USB flash drive.

As for your immediate issue, something is definitely dodgy. Replace the SATA cables and check if your disks work fine on other systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.