Freenas in VMWare with more than 1 virtual cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Cadet
Hello,
I've been experimenting a little with FreeNAS 8.3.0-BETA1 and found out that I'm maxing out the virtual cpu.

The guide for installing FreeNAS in a virtualized environment clearly states "Under CPUs, make sure that only 1 virtual processor is listed, otherwise you will be unable to start any FreeNAS® services. ".

Is it (manual fix?) or will it be possible to run FreeNAS with more than 1 cpu in a virtualized environment?

leenux_tux

Patron
Daffy,

If I understand what your doing I think your running FreeNAS in a Virtual Environment for testing purposes ?? Either on VMWare Workstation or VMWare ESXi (for example) ??

If this is the case then there are (or should be, I'm referring to VMWare Workstation and VMWare ESXi 5 here ) two options for Virtual CPU's. Number of CPU's and number of cores per CPU. Make sure you match up the number of CPU's correctly and make sure you don't select more cores than you have on your machine.

Thinking about the way other systems install, I would imagine that a different kernel would be used at install time, one kernel for single processor/single core and another for multi-processor/multi-core.

I haven't tried to alter the number of CPU's or cores after an install, however, seeing as your doing this all in a virtual environment your in the perfect place to test in another VM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My FreeNAS VM test machine is on a physical machine with 12GB of RAM and 1 CPU with 4 cores(no HT). My virtual machine has been running for months, done several upgrades and whatnot. My virtual machine has 5.5GB of RAM allocated and 1 CPU with 3 cores. I had previously used 2 and changed it for a test and never switched it back.

So I think that the problem is fixed. Just don't try to allocate too much RAM and don't try to allocate more cores or CPUs than you actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.