FreeNAS Failing in Bootloader on both USB and SSD media after attempting upgrade to 11.3-U2

DarrylM

Dabbler
After installing the upgrade to 11.2 several weeks ago, I have had nothing but difficulties and a mostly un-bootable system. I was able to boot 11.2 one time using USB media. When I tried to expand the boot pool to a second USB stick mirror, the system no longer booted at all. Never even got to the resilvering part – system just flat out rebooted. I posted another link in the forum and thought that I had my answer https://www.ixsystems.com/community...uickly-turns-mountroot-bad.84008/#post-580860. Turns out I was wrong.

I was unable boot FreeNAS on my purpose-built server, which had run for many years without issue. So I did I tried using and SSD device as boot media (and creating a new copy of iso on USB for initial bootup). I updated the BIOS on my mobo to current and managed to get the 11.2 FreeNAS to O/S installed on brand new HP P500 SSD. I thought I was all set. After attempting to reboot the system using the SSD, I receive error from messages from the FreeBSD bootloader, BTX (see screenshot). Sometimes I see the first part of the message (“shortening read at …”) and sometimes I don’t, depending on which device I’m booting from. In all cases, the register dump is displayed and the boot stops cold.

Suspecting a possible hardware problem, I had my local computer store (who are staffed with some pretty great techs) run hardware diagnostics and everything checked out clean. Tonight, I again tried creating a new ISO (11.3) on a different USB stick and am receiving the same error message. It seems clear that FreeBSD is booting, but just dies. I am starting to get very nervous about preserving the data on my tree disk SATA ZFS array. If I can’t resolve this with help from the Forum, I’ll be looking at how to move my disks into a new chassis! But before I do that, I would like some input from the community. Thank-you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6521.jpg
    IMG_6521.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 260

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
This doesn't look like a freenas boot failure. This looks like something in your bios. Try restoring your boss the factory defaults.