FreeNAS don't recognize SATA 3 disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
Hello!

I have some troubles with my FreeNAS.
My disks (da0 to da7) are compatible with SATA 3.1. but they are using SATA 2..
When I do a
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/da0

I can see:
Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB
Serial Number:    S2KMNCAGB04290L
LU WWN Device Id: 5 002538 c700101ef
Firmware Version: EXM02B6Q
User Capacity:    2,048,408,248,320 bytes [2.04 TB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate:    Solid State Device
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4c
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Apr 20 12:43:50 2016 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

So we see that current SATA in use is 6.0GB/s.
But when I make a
Code:
grep -i --color transfers /var/run/dmesg.boot

I can see:
Code:
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da1: 300.000MB/s transfers
da2: 300.000MB/s transfers
da3: 300.000MB/s transfers
da5: 300.000MB/s transfers
da4: 300.000MB/s transfers
da6: 300.000MB/s transfers
da7: 300.000MB/s transfers

So, how can I know the actual SATA revision in use? Because it's a very big loss of performance..

160420010159397956.png

I think I can expect more performances for a RAID using 8x2TB SSD.

Build FreeNAS-9.10-RELEASE (2def9c8)
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Memory 32681MB
Disks 8x2TB SSD Samsung 850 PRO.
Disk Controller Adaptec 71605 with drivers installed

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• FreeNAS.png
    FreeNAS.png
    753.5 KB · Views: 272

jgreco

Resident Grinch
SATA Version is: SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)

That's correct.

So we see that current SATA in use is 6.0GB/s.

That won't be out until maybe the year 2020.

Code:
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da1: 300.000MB/s transfers
da2: 300.000MB/s transfers
da3: 300.000MB/s transfers
da5: 300.000MB/s transfers
da4: 300.000MB/s transfers
da6: 300.000MB/s transfers
da7: 300.000MB/s transfers

So, how can I know the actual SATA revision in use? Because it's a very big loss of performance..

There's no such thing as "SATA in use is 6.0GB/s." The capital B means "bytes" and we frequently see that users cannot distinguish bits from bytes from bowls of jello. You are kindly requested to spell things out as it will help you in your own understanding of what is going on. There is no six gigabyte per second SATA. There is a six gigaBIT per second SATA which works out to a peak of 550 megabytes per second.

The fact that you're using an i7 and have conspicuously and conveniently forgotten to mention anything at all about the system that you're using, especially including the hardware being used to attach the disks, suggests that you're using some poorly considered combination of consumer-grade hardware and some random controller for attachment.

The fact that you're not getting a low level report as to the transport ("SATA 3.x, UDMA 5, PIO 8192bytes"), and that the devices are showing up as "da" instead of "ada", suggest that you're using a HBA or RAID controller of some sort. Or possibly USB. And that the controller has negotiated 3Gbps speeds.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
I'm agree with you, 6GBits/s it's more than enough.

A capital B means Bytes, which is comparable to Octets, so, I understand what you mean.

My disks are attached to a Adaptec 71605 Raid Controller.
So, if I correctly understand, I don't correctly configure my RAID controller, and he negotiate a 3Gbits/s instead of 6Gbits/s.

Any storage disk are attached on USB. Only a USB stick for system.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The Adaptec RAID controllers are a disaster looking for a place to happen. Please review the recommended hardware for an appropriate HBA (not a RAID controller) to use with FreeNAS. In FreeNAS, ZFS is your RAID controller and you do not want an additional hardware RAID controller sitting in the puzzle.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
I need to use a RAID Controller or a Motherboard with 4 SFF-8643, because I have a rackmount chassis with 16x 3.5"

But for now, I go to look about my controller configuration

Dice

Wizard
You also need to read the Hardware recommendations.
You are not alone with more drives than a motherboard can handle.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
You also need to read the Hardware recommendations.
You are not alone with more drives than a motherboard can handle.

I already look the Hardware recommendations. But I use this server for testing only, so for now, it's not so critical.
When we decide to use it in production, I understand we need to change for a motherboard with support ECC memory and a Xeon processor.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And an HBA. And when you get the right hardware, it seems certain that it'll figure out the device types and speeds correctly.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
And an HBA. And when you get the right hardware, it seems certain that it'll figure out the device types and speeds correctly.

I don't really understand, because my controller is compatible with HBA. And it's already configured like that.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
No, your Adaptec controller is a RAID controller. A RAID controller is not an HBA. And the Adaptec isn't very compatible with FreeNAS. Please avail yourself of the search functionality on the forum. You should be able to rapidly establish what well-supported brand of HBA is popular because it works with about a billion hours of problem-free service credited to it.

Bear in mind the reason you came into this forum and what question it was that you asked. You are being given the answer on a silver platter, please do consider listening to the answer to the question that you asked.

loic.rapp

Dabbler
Yeah, I'm really sorry. First thanks a lot for your help.

What HBA controller can you recommand me, which support 4 SFF-8643 for my server? On the Hardware Recommandation, I can only see a 8 disk controller.
If y understand, I need to change my processor, my motherboard, my memory and my disk controller. It's correct?

I thinking about:
Motherboard: Asus Server Z10PA-D8 (10 SATA 3)
Memory: Samsung DDR4 ECC PC4-17000 16Gb x4
Processor: Xeon E5-1620v3 (3,5x4)
But I don't know about the storage controller.

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You might be better off with an SAS expander backplane and a standard 8 lane HBA. Otherwise, is there some issue with just using two inexpensive 8 lane HBA's?

loic.rapp

Dabbler
You might be better off with an SAS expander backplane and a standard 8 lane HBA. Otherwise, is there some issue with just using two inexpensive 8 lane HBA's?
You think it can be more useful to use a cable like miniSAS to 4 sata 6Gbits/s on my backplane, to go on my onboard and pci HBA lane?

Use two card is also an idea. But, I have a vendor who only sell LSI and Adaptec adapters, it's possible to take a LSI or Adaptec HBA adapter?

loic.rapp

Dabbler
I guess you haven't read the recommended hardware...

I read the Recommended Hardware, but I ask because my vendor only sell LSI and Adaptec adapters, I see the IBM which is based on the Adaptec chip, but I see some controllers which are not "RAID", like Adaptec 71605H.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I read the Recommended Hardware, but I ask because my vendor only sell LSI and Adaptec adapters, I see the IBM which is based on the Adaptec chip, but I see some controllers which are not "RAID", like Adaptec 71605H.
So where did you read that the IBM was Adaptec?

Sakuru

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.