Freenas disappears from my networked places every time my computer goes to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

osouthwood

Cadet
Hi Guys

This is my first post so bare with me.

I just set up a Freenas machine to act as a file sharing server and everything was going swimmingly until I came back to my PC this morning and it had disappeared from my network places. I rebooted my PC and it came back, but I let my PC go to sleep after I left it for a period of time and it disappeared again.

Any body have any ideas on what to do apart from setting my computer to never sleep.

Thanks

Ollie

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's going to be a BIOS setting. FreeNAS doesn't support sleeping out of the box.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
He wasn't asking about freenas going to sleep but his client PC. Sounds like a problem with the networking on the client to me. Don't let the client PC shut down the network when it goes to sleep.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, that depends on your OS. In Windows it's usually set from the Control Panel under something with a name like "power management" or "power options".

osouthwood

Cadet
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I seemed to have sorted it now. There was a problem with our networking but I managed to sort it out now.

Another question for you: I have connected successfully the my freenas box and its all good, but I have set up another user for a second PC, have assigned them to the same group I am part of and given them a password, but when trying to access the NAS, it keeps coming up with a box asking for login credentials. Obviously, I input the details I set up when creating the User, but it wont let me log in and keeps saying Access is Denied, as if I have entered the wrong details.

Have you got any ideas?

Thanks, Ollie

osouthwood

Cadet
And if I know reboot the NAS, I can see it, but it's saying that I dont have permission to access it

Jordan Tait

Cadet
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I seemed to have sorted it now. There was a problem with our networking but I managed to sort it out now.

Another question for you: I have connected successfully the my freenas box and its all good, but I have set up another user for a second PC, have assigned them to the same group I am part of and given them a password, but when trying to access the NAS, it keeps coming up with a box asking for login credentials. Obviously, I input the details I set up when creating the User, but it wont let me log in and keeps saying Access is Denied, as if I have entered the wrong details.

Have you got any ideas?

Thanks, Ollie

Ollie - I'm having a similar problem but can't seem to work it out...what was your exact solution?

Best,
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.