FreeNAS connecting to network

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonB

Cadet
Hi guys,
Total noob question here:

So I have FreeNAS 8.3.1 installed on a 4GB flash drive, went through the configuration and everything and manually assigned it an IP.

However, I can't access it from another computer.

So, my question is: my router runs WPA2 security, so is that what would be stopping it? If so, how so I configure that?

If that's not the case, would I need to connect my NAS box directly to the router via Ethernet cable??

Thanks in advance!

gpsguy

How is your FreeNAS box connected to your network. You need a wired connection to something. It doesn't have to be your router it could an Ethernet switch.

Can you access the webgui using the IP address of your FN box?

If you can access the webgui, but are trying to access it as a file server, you need to configure the appropriate service, for example: cifs, FTP, etc.

Sent from my phone

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
It sounds to me like you are trying to use WiFi with it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

fede2222

Dabbler
mmm.. a NAS via WiFi... the most use of a NAS is for large storage. If you use WiFi for access the storage you will have not a nice experience. Long times for copy for example ISOs, or crappy streaming.

First check that the basics was correctly configured...

1. Go to Freenas console, do a PING to your router IP. To know is correctly connected wireless to the router.
2. Go to Freenas console and put the output of IFCONFIG for we can know more of your config

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Per the manual.. wifi directly from the server is not supported.

JonB

Cadet
Ok, sorry for the noob question; I'm new to all this!

I'm heading to pick up an Ethernet cable and switch!

Whattteva

Wizard
Really, using WiFi defeats the whole purpose of having a NAS in the first place.
You build a NAS with the intent of having a reliable, speedy, and always available centralized repository of data that will be accessed by everyone in the network.
Imagine trying to transfer gigs of data across a slow WiFi link, it will take you forever. Now imagine 5 people doing the same thing and you can see how WiFi is simply not going to cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.