Adding more devices to network through Mobo ethernet ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Hey Guys,

I've got another noob question. I've searched around a bunch on the net but I'm not really even sure what exactly I should be searching for.

My FreeNAS server is plugged into my 4-port router which is connected to the internet. I have one ethernet connection for the server interface and one ethernet connection for IPMI. I would like to use the remaining 2 ports to connect other computers in the house. That said, I have an 8-port POE switch that I would like to use for connecting security cameras without using up router ports or bogging down the router with internal network traffic.

My Server Mobo has 4 ethernet ports (plus a dedicated IPMI port). Can I plug my switch into one of the other mobo ports and have it operate as if it was on the network with everything else? Is that link aggregation? Is that what the "Interfaces" tab is for under "Network"?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You want to....plug a switch....into one of your server motherboard's extra LAN ports?

Is that correct?

:)

melloa

Wizard
You want to....plug a switch....into one of your server motherboard's extra LAN ports?

Is that correct?

I think he has one ISP router with 4 ports and one 8 ports PoE switch. If so, he could connect the PoE switch to the ISP Router and add ports that way ...

and one ethernet connection for IPMI

Also does he needs to have the IPMI always connected? I use the old monitor/keyboard/mouse, so don't know ;)

Wallybanger

Contributor

Is that correct?

That is correct :)

My setup is this:

ISP Modem/Router ----> Linksys 4-port Router running DD-WRT
The ISP Modem Router has really crappy options and security so it's connected to the linksys in Lan-Wan mode. This way if people come to my house they can connect to the crap router which isn't as secure.

The Linksys router has the better security but it's only 4 ports. The only stuff I have connected to it is stuff that needs to access the WAN directly so FreeNAS and other computers in the house.

I then have an 8-port POE switch. The 4 POE ports are being used for security cameras. The other 4 ports are unused but it would be nice to use them for all of the TVs in the house. So basically I want to use that switch for stuff that only/Primarily needs to communicate with the FreeNAS server. The Cams store footage directly on the server and the TVs would access all of my media files. I would like to plug this into one of the extra ports on the FreeNAS box.

I figure doing it this way would cut down on extra traffic going through my router which would be a bonus considering those older Linksys things like to overheat.

Really, the TVs and Security cams COULD be on a completely different network/domain/thing BUT I would like to be able to access the Security Cams WebGUI so the best scenario would be if all of my network devices were operating through the 192.168.1.1 domain/gateway.

Clear as mud? :D

I think he has one ISP router with 4 ports and one 8 ports PoE switch. If so, he could connect the PoE switch to the ISP Router and add ports that way ...

Also does he needs to have the IPMI always connected? I use the old monitor/keyboard/mouse, so don't know ;)
Yes, I could connect the switch directly to the router but I want to cut down on the amount of work the router has to do.

IPMI doesn't have to always be connected but it would be nice if it was.

melloa

Wizard
I could connect the switch directly to the router but I want to cut down on the amount of work the router has to do.

So, who's going to be routing LAN? DD-WRT or FreeNAS? ISP router will route internet traffic. Depending on your DD-WRT and your traffic, you might be OK using it or you can try to setup a router in your FreeNAS... I don't like to overload my FreeNAS, so run all on another box(es), but it is possible, just don't ask me how :)

Wallybanger

Contributor
DD-WRT will be doing the bulk of the routing. The only little bit of routing that FreeNAS would have to do is allow me to access my Security Cam WebGUI every now and again.... otherwise it wouldn't be doing any routing, AFAIK

Last edited by a moderator:

pschatz100

Guru
My setup is this:

ISP Modem/Router ----> Linksys 4-port Router running DD-WRT
The ISP Modem Router has really crappy options and security so it's connected to the linksys in Lan-Wan mode. This way if people come to my house they can connect to the crap router which isn't as secure.

The Linksys router has the better security but it's only 4 ports. The only stuff I have connected to it is stuff that needs to access the WAN directly so FreeNAS and other computers in the house.
I'm not certain what you mean by "the ISP Modem Router has really crappy options and security", but if you are running an older router, then you might contact your ISP and ask if they will exchange it for a newer one. Current routers from ISP's are going to have decent security, although they may be limited in other options.

Anyway, if you are using the ISP router to assign the IP addresses, then you can plug your switch into either the ISP router or the Linksys router, depending upon how you want to configure your network. If you are using the Linksys to assign IP addresses, then plug the switch into that router. You cannot plug your switch into the Supermicro motherboard.

I do not have specific experience with X11SSH-LN4F motherboard, but if it works like many other Supermicro motherboards, then it is not necessary to use the dedicated Lan port to connect to IPMI. You should be able to access IPMI through Lan1 (IPMI will have its own IP address.) This would allow you to run only one network cable to your NAS and would also free up a port on your router.

For what it's worth, I gave up on using DD-WRT with old Linksys wifi routers. The old routers just don't have the processing and memory capacity to keep up with the demands of a busy network and yes, they run hot. A newer, good quality wifi modem that supports guest networks would simplify things and be more reliable.

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
If you're really concerned about security, you start by getting rid of the all-in-one gateway. Get a simple modem. On the inside of that, you run a real firewall like PFSense, Sophos, Untangle, etc. For Wifi coverage, especially if you want to isolate guests and prevent them access to the trusted network, you look at real access points - Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PROs being my favorite.

pschatz100

Guru
@tvsjr has a point, but this would be overkill for most home uses. A medium or high-end router from one of the name brands such as Linksys, Asus, D-Link, etc. would be a good choice. Plan to spend at least $100 (North America) for a decent dual-band 802.11ac gigabit router. At this level, you will have good security and a pretty good set of features. Check the feature set for support for guest networks if this is important to you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that you can save a port by sharing LAN1 with IPMI. IPMI traffic is zero when not in use (well, close to zero. DHCP does involve a tiny bit of very occasional traffic).

Status
Not open for further replies.