FreeNAS Auto-Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitkhas

Dabbler
Hi,

When I insert the FreeNAS on USB, the system brings up the menu to select what I want to boot into:

1. FreeNAS (default)
2. FreeNAS (safe mode)
etc.

At the bottom, it prompts to select which number. After the timer expires, the system displays some things which scrolls very quickly making it hard to read. Then it says that it will auto-reboot in 15 seconds. Then it reboots, and the cycle continues...

I am not sure why it's doing this. I'm thinking that somehow the boot image on the USB is somehow not fully there, which is preventing it from fully booting into FreeNAS.

I have run MemTest and it passed. This is for FreeNAS 8.0.2 (amd64). USB size is 16GB.

Hardware:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Ram: 2x4GB 240pin
6x 2TB HDDs 7200 RPM
(no cd-rom drive)

How I imaged the USB:
Using physwritedisk, there were write errors.
I used diskpart / clean to clear up the volume
Performed physwritedisk again (did not use format after Clean), which completed 2000000000/2000000000

Any ideas would be very appreciated

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
This is very similar to the problem I am having on my HP Proliant Micro server. I also noted that the amd iso CD was not autobooting.

geronimo1958

Contributor
I am having the same issue. Was driving me crazy until I found this thread.

No issues creating the USB with FreeNAS8 on it.

Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Intel i3-2100T
16GB RAM

Milhouse

Guru
There should be something (a message, or diagnostics) written to the console screen prior to the machine rebooting. If you have a camera, upload a snapshot of this console screen just before the reboot, as this may give everyone a clue as to why the reboot is occurring. At the moment, don't have a clue.

Milhouse

Guru
This is very similar to the problem I am having on my HP Proliant Micro server. I also noted that the amd iso CD was not autobooting.

Since these servers - the N36L certainly, but can't yet speak for the recently introduced N40L - are known to work well with FreeNAS 8.0.2-AMD64, you've either got a hardware fault (flakey motherboard/CPU, or duff memory - test with memtest86+ for 24 hours to validate), an incompatible add-in card you haven't mentioned, an incorrectly configured BIOS setting (check your BOOT options), or you are simply not creating a valid boot medium (CD or USB etc.).

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
Unable to snapshot

Milhouse,
Unfortunately if an error does appear, I am unable to snapshot it when it does. The monitor give me the error, lost signal and then the system reboots.

I will pull the MB out and check the seating of everything and run memtest. It is a stock out of the box system with no add-ons

Regards

AU_squirrel

geronimo1958

Contributor
Here is an image.

I cut off the very bottom where it says the system will reboot in 15 seconds

Attachments

• Boot-error1.jpg
    Boot-error1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 429

Milhouse

Guru
I cut off the very bottom where it says the system will reboot in 15 seconds

geronimo1958, are you using the i386 (32-bit) or AMD64 (64-bit) build of FreeNAS 8.0.2? Despite it's name, the AMD64 build is compatible with "modern" 64-bit Intel processors and this may resolve your issue (assuming you're on the 32-bit build of course, which would be nuts as you've got 16GB RAM and would therefore only be able to see a quarter of that memory with a 32-bit OS...).

geronimo1958

Contributor
I am using the 64amd version.

I get the same error with 8.0.2 and 8.0.1

I will try a different USB stick.

I am using a HP V255W 4GB. Cheap little piece of plastic doodoo.

Milhouse

Guru
Unfortunately that particular error can be encountered for a multitude of problems, sometimes RAM related. It's probably worth trying different boot media, also validating all of that RAM with memtest86+ to ensure you don't have a dodgy stick (I normally suggest a 24 hour test, though perhaps even longer would be warranted for 16GB... at least 2-3 complete passes should be enough though).

geronimo1958

Contributor
Tried different USB stick

Same results.

On to memtest.

geronimo1958

Contributor
my system only has 8GB (the 16GB in my original reply is wrong).

Currently running memtest

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
Ok, test results.

Tried to run memtest. CD booted, memtest started and then the system locked.

Re-seated RAM and the system now boots from the USB drive. At the Configuration menu.

Au_Squirrel

Cadet
I now have the system working. I made two changes, one to the bios and the second was to delete the two raid arrays I had defined.

I set the usb storage options in bios from Auto to HDD. The second was to remove all the defined raid arrays. The system booted and is connected to the network with all the drives visible through the web interface.

geronimo1958

Contributor
Memtest ran overnight

It was still running when I checked the system this morning. Ran for over 12 hours. Memtest does not indicate how many times it ran.

I have run Ubuntu from its USB stick. Might install to hard disk. Also might install Windows 7??????

Probaby reseat the RAM first.

geronimo1958

Contributor
Ubuntu 11.04 installed

no issues. I know nothing about Ubuntu so I am not even sure it is a 64-bit OS (probably is). Can not find any installed programs to "stress" the system.

Probably something specific to the Gigabyte Z68 that is choking FreeNAS 8.

amitkhas

Dabbler
I hope there's nothing wrong with Gigabyte Z68 :(

Here's the error code I'm getting.

Note, the motherboard only has a HDMI out (no video card), and the only terminal I have that can accept HDMI is a 46in TV. It seems to cut out 1-2 letters from the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 357

geronimo1958

Contributor
That looks like my error

as well. I have toggled a bunch of setting in the BIOS. Upgraded to the latest BIOS.

Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit is up and running. Memtest ran overnight.

Looking like it is FreeNAS 8 and Gigabyte Z68 not playing nice.

Looking for a Ubuntu burnin prog.

Have not tried FreeNAS 7 since that is not what I really want to run.

Might try disabling the USB 3.0 (but I really will need that at some point)

geronimo1958

Contributor
I disabled the USB 3.0 in the BIOS and now the system boots OK and I am able to see it thru my web browser on my main system.

I will really need the USB 3.0 at some point. Backing up thru USB 2.0 is way too slow.

amitkhas

Dabbler
I disabled the USB 3.0 in the BIOS and now the system boots OK and I am able to see it thru my web browser on my main system.

I will really need the USB 3.0 at some point. Backing up thru USB 2.0 is way too slow.

That did the trick for me too. I disabled the USB 3.0 controller in BIOS, and it booted like it should!

Though, kind of annoying... USB 3.0 speeds are a lot faster...

Status
Not open for further replies.