FreeNAS 11 won't boot after trying to mirror USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

Contributor
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to mirror the USB boot device but FreeNAS complained that second USB wasn't large enough which is fine my mistake. But now the system won't boot it gets to grub and then the system reboots. So anyone got any ideas as to what I might be able to do here?

Any help here would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
Hi,

Yesterday I tried to mirror the USB boot device but FreeNAS complained that second USB wasn't large enough which is fine my mistake. But now the system won't boot it gets to grub and then the system reboots. So anyone got any ideas as to what I might be able to do here?

Any help here would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Hmmmm. I experienced this grub reboot recently too. Involved a trip to the installer to fix as well.

Grub was basically stuck in a reboot loop

Spud

Contributor
Hmmmm. I experienced this grub reboot recently too. Involved a trip to the installer to fix as well.

Grub was basically stuck in a reboot loop

Yeah would have been nice to have been able to fix it, but not to be.

Thanks

Jon Radel

Cadet
In some cases, even if Grub is all broken and won't go past "Welcome to GRUB!," your config is still on the boot device. If it's important and you don't have a backup, you might want to try doing an upgrade instead of a fresh install and see if it can migrate the existing config for you.

Spud

Contributor
In some cases, even if Grub is all broken and won't go past "Welcome to GRUB!," your config is still on the boot device. If it's important and you don't have a backup, you might want to try doing an upgrade instead of a fresh install and see if it can migrate the existing config for you.

Yeah to late but thanks any Stux I've started over and learnt a lesson this time!

Spud

Contributor
Just another update to this thread.

After I reinstalled freenas 11 and "BACK UP THE CONFIG" I thought I'd mirror the USB again just because I can and it did the same thing, wouldn't boot, stuck on the grub screen.

I pulled the first USB stick out the motherboard and the second worked fine as the system came up no problems.

I am now booting off just one USB so is this a bug in 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.