FreeNas as VM Cluster Storage: Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryE

Cadet
Greetings,

I've configured FreeNas in the past a few times on a trial basis but never fully used it in production. I currently have a single Dell 3200i NAS device that I am using as a VM Cluster Storage device via iSCSI. The device seems to be doing ok with only a few virtual servers on it, but I plan on adding more servers to it very soon and I am a little concerned that the 1GB/s iSCSI connections may be a bottleneck.

so I'm considering the possibility of building a FreeNas device to replace the 3200i in the future, but i have a few questions.

When using ZFS and iSCSI, I've read that you cannot expose the ZFS Pool directly, what kind of overhead does using a file extent add? Would it be better to use a good hardware raid5/hotspare solution and not use ZFS with iSCSI?

I would use an Intel x520 DA 10GB, has anyone tested those nics? I read in the documentation that the older 10GB (8598 chipset) nics are supported, are the 8599 based ones supported as well? (according to documentation the ixgbe drivers by intel also support 8599 cards, but does freenas use the same version?)

Any suggestions or comments are welcome!
Thanks,

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Since 8.0.1-BETA you can use ZVol, which are suitable for iSCSI to use as device extent, with the benefit of ZFS

FreeNAS uses FreeBSD 8.2 (RELENG_8_2) as a base OS

JerryE

Cadet
Great, so I would not need a high end RAID controller and gain all the benefits of ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.