FreeNAS as home share NAS

fleg

Dabbler
I have a several FreeNAS servers...there are all working properly. Now I want to make one with only home shares dirs and I have 2 ptroblems.
I`ve create a volume Privaty with Homes dataset (/mnt/Privaty/Homes. When I create an user via web and set the path for homedir /mnt/Privaty/Homes/user1 user acc is created but home dir not. When I crate user via cli (adduser) I can`t see this user in the table via web, but homedir is created and user is in /etc/passwd. Why are these differences there? Why user add via wen don`t create home dir?
2nd problem is sharing via SMB (win share). I created Homes share (path /mnt/Privaty/Homes, with Use homes share checked but access denied via network.
SMB is running as service. Access denied with no pasword ask.
Access via FTP is working.

artlessknave

Wizard
generally, you don't want to do anything at the commandline in freenas unless you know, really know, what you are doing.

create your user, create their home dataset (/mnt/Privaty/homes/jimbob), set the user as the owner of the dataset, and then set that as their home dir.
all this should be possible in the GUI. ( I don't know why there is no option to create automatically, I would assume it's because that isn't always wanted)

SMB permissions only controls the permissions for the SMB share, not the underlying filesystem. you have to set the dataset permissions to permit your user(s) access. (datasets by default are root/wheel)