FreeNas as a storage for ESXi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenek

Explorer
I found many posts where people use FreeNas as a shared storage for esxi.

I would like to clarify in what cases it is a good idea.

In my case, for example, I'm going to get SuperChassis 847E16 for my data server (backups, media, etc.). Also, I need to run 4-5 virtual servers. So, I can get some U1/2 SuperChassis for ESXi and get it connected to a mirror ZFS pool on my data server. On the other hand, I will get at least 4 hard drive bays on U1/2 chassis that I could be uses for ESXi data storage as well (as RAID10 for example). One RAID10 array will be more than enough for my 4-5 machines. I don’t need several ESXi servers share storage for failovers, or any other requirements. My question if this is makes sense do not bother with ZFS storage in my case use local RAID10 array. Or I’m missing something.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
In your case, because you don't need the storage to be shared, I would say it is a pretty simple conclusion - use a local VMFS datastore with a RAID10 setup.

ZFS needs a lot of resources (compared to home media hosting) to be able to serve VMs effectively. You would probably have to sink quite a bit of extra resources into your data server in order to make it a viable VM host, unless you're willing to accept some fairly low levels of performance.

Urs

Dabbler
if you want to build a storage server of 36 spindels and use a single 1gbit link and think about if you can utilize it full it sounds like a yoke, nothing more...

Tenek

Explorer
Urs, I realize that it will not be a problem to load 1gbit link with appropriate configuration. Number of bays in server doesn't automatically makes your server fast. That is why I'm asking for configurations recommendations so it will be appropriate :). If you have ideas please join the other thread I opened.

As a side note, my concern is more about simultaneous read/write operations. In my current NAS build I see significant performance drop if I, for example, write large file and read another large file at the same time. For example (at least two is already enough). Most requests happen over CIFS, maybe it is a part of bottle neck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.