Freenas -> Android Auto music player

Spitko

Cadet
I've currently got a Synology DS1812+

It's fine, but Synology has dropped support, parts are getting hard to find, and the software is developing some fun behaviors that Synology seems unwilling to fix on their older models.

So I'm wondering if maybe it's time to freenas.

I generally have three use cases:
1) On-site backups
2) Mass file store for media
3) Central point for music.

The third one is what's getting me right now. Synology ships an app (DS Audio) which has a nice integration with Android Audio, meaning you can use AA's voice commands to play artists,tracks, etc. Except due to a long standing unfixed bug, it doesn't work particularly well.

I know the first two point can be done easily with freenas, but I'm not sure on the third. Has anyone set this up? I know there are a ton of LAN options, but the android auto integration over the internet here is key.

Edit: Upon doing a bit more digging, while I can't find any dedicated apps for this, it appears Plex supports it, which can be installed on a freenas box.

Time to place some orders I guess.

Last edited:

IceBoosteR

Guru
Hi there,

as you've already mentioned, have a look into Plex or Emby. I do use Emby and I am not sure if there is an Android Auto integration. But Plex is much more common and they might support it. FreeNAS itself is just the storage, not having an app for playing media.

-Ice

scrappy

Patron
Plex works pretty well for what you're wanting to do.