FreeNAS and Syncthing sharing dilemma - help please

beroldb

Cadet
Hi there.

I'm new to FreeNAS and I'm new to Syncthing. I get the feeling that my son is tired of me asking him questions (and he's busy being a dad, so I understand) so here I am.

I'm having a permissions issue that I hope some wise person can guide me through.

I have a particular folder of data that I wish to share. There are four users in two groups. There is an overlap. The groups are separated by permissions.
Group 1 - permissions for most storage access. There are three users from this group. User 1, User 2, User 3.
Group2 - permissions for some storage access. There is one user from this group. User 4.
  • Solution for this was to add the 4 users to a new group called Special1
There are six devices. 3 desktops and 3 laptops. Two of the laptops are used by User 4. He uses both laptops but at separate locations where he travels between locations.
User 4, on Laptop 1 and 2, has access to the Server (his data) using Syncthing - this works as expected.

Users 1, 2 and 3 from Group 1 access their data on the Server via an SMB share - this works as expected.

User 1 (Desktop 1 and Laptop 3) accesses his Server data on Laptop 3 via Syncthing - this works as expected.
  • This situation works well too. For clarification he has Desktop 1 (FN share) and Laptop 3 (Syncthing to FN share).
Here's my dilemma.

I want to share data in FolderA with group Special1 over all six devices. The proviso is that FolderA must be read only.

Here's my problem.

Creating the folder on the Server to contain the read only data leaves me with the permissions set to admin:Systems (That's me). I change the permissions to admin:Special1 but Syncthing does not like that and any attempt it makes to write files to the storage medium fails with 'permission denied'.

I'm probably missing one (or more) simple steps here and I'm wondering/hoping that someone out there (wiser and by extension more experienced than I am) can help me find the missing key to unlock this door that I'm stuck behind.

Please and thank you,

Berold B

beroldb

Cadet
Decided that the best way to resolve my problem was to let the laptops have communal data with NextCloud and then made the archive data accessible through Syncthing as read only on the devices and send only on the server.

May be not so elegant but it seems to have worked for what I need.