FreeNAS 9.3 wont join AD on reboot? can't access PDC Emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffK

Dabbler
Was just fiddling with my FreeNAS host to ensure things come up under a cold start. Given the DC that i joined the domain with is a VM stored on FreeNAS I was re-pointing everything to our backup, physical DC, so that we have a clear boot order to get everything up without user intervention (Backup DC > FreeNAS > VM Hosts).

A funny thing i noticed is that whilst I could join a domain without the PDC running (but FreeNAS was) - when i went to reboot with the Backup DC running, FreeNAS doesn't join AD (thus none of the folder redirections etc work) - and actually claims an error saying that it needs to talk to the DC that is the PDC Emulator.

If you jump in the web gui after boot, then just tick "enabled" and then save - it joins and functions as normal.

I have moved the PDC Emulator role to the Backup Physical DC, rebooted and everything is fine.

Is this expected behaviour?

GeoffK

Dabbler
it is, however, intermittent...

Reboot this morning (for other reasons - NFS mounts died) - and directory services held.

Zedicus

Explorer
in 9.3 in directory services make sure to put an entry in the 'domain controller' field. a FQDN, not an IP or short name. on 9.3 ive had to do this to get any stability out of freenas directory usage. while on the 9.2 branch i never used this setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.