FreeNas 9.3 Stable allocating too much memory, fatal trap 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Wright

Cadet
Two days ago, I was able to install and get FreeNas 9.3 running on my machine (specs below). After getting it set up, I shut it down until I could work on it some more. Now, it won't start up and is always stuck at the following backtrace in KDB (abbreviated output since I have to type it by hand):

Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x0
fault code = supervisor write data, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x20
stack pointer = 0x28
frame pointer = 0x28
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
= DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags = resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 0 ()
[ thread pid 0 tid 0 ]
Stopped at vm_pageq_remove+0x60: movq %rdx,(%r9)
db> bt
Tracing pid 0 tid 0 0xffffffff8162cef0
vm_pageq_remove() at +0x60
vm_fault_hold() at +0x39b
vm_fault() at +0x73
vm_fault_wire() at +0x4e
vm_map_wire() at +0x309
kmem_alloc at +0xcb
vm_ksubmap_init at +0x64
cpu_startup() at +0xf0
mi_startup() at +0x7b
btext() at +0x2c

Specs:
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
8GB RAM (8192 MB)
SanDisk 32GB USB drive for OS (mounted internally)
4 x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives (H3IKNAS600012872SN)
1000W PSU

What I've tried so far:
  • Tons of searches for similar issues. I'm only finding stuff that has been resolved since around version 8.0.3
  • Reinstalled FreeNAS. Was getting trap 12 during this (same as above backtrace), but got past it somehow.
  • Updated motherboard BIOS

Other weird bits of information:
  • KDB is showing "real memory = 9663676416 (9216 MB)". I feel like this might be relevant since FreeNAS may be attempting to access memory that isn't there (a full GB extra), in the kmem_alloc() call.

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Trying to get any version of FreeBSD or it's variants running on an nforce chipset board is a lesson in futility.

Mike Wright

Cadet
This doesn't feel like a chipset issue, considering I had it working for a full evening before this started happening. Since it started happening, it's very consistent.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Trying to get any OS other than that specific ancient version of Windows running on an nforce chipset board is a lesson in futility.
FTFY.

Mike Wright

Cadet
Like I said, it's very likely not chipset related. I was hoping to get legitimate help, rather than snarky comments about how you don't like the hardware I'm using.

I can get FreeBSD and Ubuntu running on this machine. I ran MemTest on the machine and got a ton of failures, but the the failure addresses are all above the 8191MB mark.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Like I said, it's very likely not chipset related. I was hoping to get legitimate help, rather than snarky comments about how you don't like the hardware I'm using.

I can get FreeBSD and Ubuntu running on this machine. I ran MemTest on the machine and got a ton of failures, but the the failure addresses are all above the 8191MB mark.
RAM is often mapped outside the very lowest address space, since there's a ton of stuff in fixed locations (PCI, PCH, BIOS ROM, etc...). So it definitely sounds like bad memory or bad memory controller.

Mike Wright

Cadet
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll go through and test each individual DIMM to find the culprit. It seems weird that I have been able to use this RAM for years without encountering the bad address space. It's unclear if I would even be able to purchase the same memory again to replace it.

I'm also just considering picking up the diskless FreeNAS Mini and simplifying my life......

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks, that's helpful. I'll go through and test each individual DIMM to find the culprit. It seems weird that I have been able to use this RAM for years without encountering the bad address space. It's unclear if I would even be able to purchase the same memory again to replace it.

I'm also just considering picking up the diskless FreeNAS Mini and simplifying my life......
It would certainly be a fine off-the-shelf solution - but it is somewhat limited and expensive (though I hear they're slightly discounted at the moment).

edmacker

Cadet
Greetings Mike! We are sharing "some" of the same fatal trap errors I recently encountered within the last few days.

My summary as follows:
(dev/test environment)
Hardware: old as balls ~ Gateway E4300 P4 (pahaha); 4G RAM; WD360 Raptor (2003) - 10K rpm, OS - 9.2.1.X 32-bit version...yes, I am asking for issues with this setup...no need to ask why - I just did. It installed fine; got into the WebGUI; setup some configurations; rebooted several times; however I did not setup a volume yet no ZFS (noob) and I decided to move on!

(prod environment)
Hardware: HP6200 Pro Intel i5; 6G RAM - initially; WD360 Raptor (fresh install OS - 9.2.1.X 32-bit...found out later this might have been one of my issues); 3x750G sata (vol1 w/ZFS - 1.6T) - booted up fine; started configurations and setup vol1 with three data sets; ran for most of the day; transferred around 500G however I started to have a number of connection drops - hmmmm...(windows;mac;linux) I continued on like a dumb dumb! After the last 22G transfer; connection disconnected; no access to the WebGUI and no ping; turned on the monitor AND (Fatal Trap errors - UGH)

May I ask you a question? Have you tried booting up just with the USB drive without your vol set (4 x 6TB) attached? I experienced something similar to where I was able to boot up JUST to the WD360 Raptor (OS - 9.2.1.x drive - suspected hardware OR software at this point) and get to the WebGUI just to save my configuration (stupid me for not getting this sooner)

Let me know sir....I have more to post about my recovery!

Merry Xmas - Doug

Last edited:

gpsguy

Doug, if you are using ZFS you should be using the 64 bit version of FreeNAS with no less than 8GB RAM.

Sent from my phone

edmacker

Cadet
Doug, if you are using ZFS you should be using the 64 bit version of FreeNAS with no less than 8GB RAM.

Sent from my phone

Yes sir, I am now on the production build :) 9.3 stable 64-bit - ZFS 1.5T and now w/10GB RAM. To get it back/recovered @Mike Wright I took the fresh install and uploaded the backup configuration file from the previous 32-bit version; booted it up and many many magical command line bsd moments later *thx @gpsguy, she booted up with my configuration in tact and data sets view able on the LAN.....OH I was relieved!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.