SOLVED FreeNAS 9.3 - Cant find disk or volumes but data still on hard drives

N4N027

Cadet
Hi,

I have a server that was running FreeNas 9.3 and while trying to upgrade it, the installation drive got corrupt. I am now unable to access any of my drives through FreeNas 9.10 in order to get a config file to upgrade to TrueNas. All my files and jails still exist on the drives but I am unsure as to how to go about this as I am afraid to lose all the data on the multiple drives. I cannot find disks or volumes in a clean installation of freenas 9.3 and if i use the command line i can see the disks and mounts but cant access it still.

PS, I do not have additional space to clone those drives elsewhere in case something goes wrong

Arwen

MVP
It sounds like your ZFS pools are exported. You can try a simple, non-impacting, zpool import command which should show you the status of the pools.

N4N027

Cadet
Thank you for your response :) i have sorted out this issue by installing truenas scale and simply imported the pool and it found everything. The current issue I have is the freenas 9.3 version put unix permissions on all the folders and I didnt know about it. So i added a SMB share in truenas scale and i cant delete or access certain folders because those permissions are still on those previous users who created the folders. Is there any way to remove all permissions on the folders (without losing data of course) and redoing the permissions so that everyone has access again?

Arwen

MVP
Their almost certainly is a way to take a top level dataset and apply SMB permissions recursively. But, sorry, I don't know.

I'd suggest marking this thread as resolved, and opening a new one in the TrueNAS SCALE sub-forum. Be sure to include SCALE version and a descriptive forum subject line.