FreeNAS 9.3.1 is now released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

This is a logical continuation from the 9.3 series and, as such, does not have "RELEASE" per-se but may be found in http://download.freenas.org/latest and on the update.freenas.org web server on the 9.3-STABLE train.

The reason for the point release was simply because enough stuff has changed that we thought it time to increment the minor version in order to denote that we've now reached a point of stability and bug fix quality that merits a small permutation of the naming (we have also put some foundation technologies in place, like a substantially rewritten replicator and better support for iXsystems' TrueNAS product, which the 9.3.1 name makes easier for us to keep straight).

NOTE: We also took the opportunity to update the LSI driver to v20, which has been the "currently shipping version" from LSI/Avago for some time now and has also been the driver version in FreeNAS 9.3-Nightlies for months, we were just giving it a really long "soak cycle" before merging it. If you get a Firmware version mismatch alert, that's because we've finally moved off of (the ancient and hard to find) v16 driver.

JFYI!

The FreeNAS Development Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Sir.Robin

Guru
Excellent work!! :)

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
J

jkh

Just to confirm, when I applied the update overnight, I got 9.3-STABLE-201508250051, which from http://download.freenas.org/ looks like 9.3.1 but the .1 does not show in System Information.
That's correct - you're still on the 9.3-STABLE train, so System Information is simply telling you that you're now at the 201508250051 point on it.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
It seems like that http://download.freenas.org is not responding at the moment. I dont mind building it from github but getting the latest stable release is so much more convenient. ;-)

Edit: And its up again. Maybe just a glitch or maintenance window. :smile:

Last edited:

Ziggy

Contributor
Updated this morning with 'A new update is available for the FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE train' and now cannot login via the webgui. An ip scan suggests it's not broadcasting on its usual assigned ip or any ip. Before I attempt to access the box via the serial port output, has anyone any suggestions? I'm on an ix systems truenas box. Thanks.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Updated this morning with 'A new update is available for the FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE train' and now cannot login via the webgui. An ip scan suggests it's not broadcasting on its usual assigned ip or any ip. Before I attempt to access the box via the serial port output, has anyone any suggestions? I'm on an ix systems truenas box. Thanks.

If you have a TrueNAS box you should be running the TrueNAS OS, which shouldn't be the FreeNAS train...

Also if you have a TrueNAS I presume you have a support contract with iXsystems. In that case you should contact iXsystems for support.

Ziggy

Contributor
Thanks for swift reply. Update was flagged within freenas and update applied from there. I copied the freenas train bit from an alert email, but as I can't currently access the gui I can't check what exactly was applied. Looks like I'll have to connect the box directly, reboot and chose previous stable build?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thanks for swift reply. Update was flagged within freenas and update applied from there. I copied the freenas train bit from an alert email, but as I can't currently access the gui I can't check what exactly was applied. Looks like I'll have to connect the box directly, reboot and chose previous stable build?

Not sure. I'm hesitant to give you an answer for fear of being wrong. After all, TrueNAS is fully supported by iXsystems tech support so they should be the one telling you what you should/shouldn't do with the system. I'm not 100% aware of the whole situation with your server, so the only solid advice I recommend is to contact iXsystems.

But there is no way to "convert" from TrueNAS to FreeNAS or vice versa. So if you are on TrueNAS you really have to stay on TrueNAS. Likewise keep in mind if you go from TrueNAS to FreeNAS you'll lose any support you have with iXsystems as they provide no official tech support for FreeNAS (aside from one-time support).

Ziggy

Contributor
Loaded last stable installation and all working well. System tells me I'm running 'FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201504152200' and not a Truenas system and so I assume I should be able to update via the update menu? Rechecked whats available to update and update tab tells me that the following is applicable:

Upgrade: base-os-9.3-STABLE-94c2812-c7bb047-adf8538 -> base-os-9.3.1-STABLE-e3dfc97-93c5885-6b89ca8
Upgrade: freebsd-pkgdb-9.3-STABLE-94c2812-c7bb047-adf8538 -> freebsd-pkgdb-9.3.1-STABLE-e3dfc97-93c5885-6b89ca8
Upgrade: FreeNASUI-9.3-STABLE-94c2812-c7bb047-adf8538 -> FreeNASUI-9.3.1-STABLE-e3dfc97-93c5885-6b89ca8
Upgrade: freenas-pkg-tools-9.3-STABLE-94c2812 -> freenas-pkg-tools-9.3.1-STABLE-e3dfc97
Upgrade: docs-9.3-STABLE-94c2812 -> docs-9.3.1-STABLE-1cbd690

To my knowledge, these are the updates I applied this morning with resulting crash.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right, but TrueNAS should not have FreeNAS updates. So either you don't have a TrueNAS, or something is very very wrong. In any case I recommend you contact IXsystems for support. This thread is for announcement of FreeNAS 9.3.1, so we're kind of off-topic with our conversation. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.