FreeNAS 9.10 uptime bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon K

Explorer
Hey all - running FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201606270534 that serves as NFS/iSCSI storage for about 50 VMs.

Everything great, been up for > 100 days without issue performing awesome. Then today I just log in to check something out and see uptime < 5 days.

This has me concerned because I received no outage and had no issue what so ever with this whole environment. Turns out, I have many VMs up for over 115 days that are backed by the FreeNAS storage and the file systems are read/write. So... FreeNAS is reporting the wrong uptime? Thoughts?

D

dlavigne

Are you sure the system didn't reboot? Also, where did you view the uptime (eg somewhere in the GUI or from the shell)?

Jon K

Explorer
The system could not have rebooted because I have VMs running on it (only) and if the storage got ripped out from under the VM they'd all be crashed or read only file systems.

For instance one of my virtual firewalls is on an NFS share from the FreeNAS host:

[2.3.2-RELEASE][jkensy@pfSense.redacted.local]/home/user: uptime
9:01PM up 113 days, 20:56, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.04, 0.03

Another VM:

Last login: Fri Jan 27 14:37:21 2017
[root@KCloudSFTP1 ~]# uptime
16:04:07 up 42 days, 23:55, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

I checked the GUI and shell of FreeNAS and it says 4 days X hours X minutes (earlier when I posted it was 3 days 22 hours, etc.)

D

dlavigne

Can you check the logs for the day that uptime thinks the system rebooted to make sure they don't show reboot messages? It sounds like the system did reboot but came back up before the VMs noticed...

Jon K

Explorer
Can you check the logs for the day that uptime thinks the system rebooted to make sure they don't show reboot messages? It sounds like the system did reboot but came back up before the VMs noticed...

Which logs should indicate that? Looks like /var/log/messages has turned over due to hitting 100k. I guess I need to somehow raise that.

There's now way the FreeNAS box came back up without the VMs noticing. I would have received a ton of alerting from external monitors. The FreeNAS machine is a Dell R510 and takes about 3 - 4 minutes to boot up fully.

m0nkey_

MVP
So... FreeNAS is reporting the wrong uptime? Thoughts?
Very unlikely. The only time the uptime would likely reset was following a reboot.

The only other thing (and this is a long shot) is the system date was wrong and somehow got changed? But I don't know how this would affect the uptime.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Depending on until vms os a reboot doesn't always cause terrible things to happen. I reboot my Nas and my vms just freeze while it reboots and then come back up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jon K

Explorer
Depending on until vms os a reboot doesn't always cause terrible things to happen. I reboot my Nas and my vms just freeze while it reboots and then come back up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

With things like databases, it absolutely causes terrible things to happen. It's so weird - I have no outages on DBs, no nothing. No VMs complain about dirty shutdowns. I have LibreNMS with no outages in polling. Yet, I have an uptime reset. So odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.